Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buying a business

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Buying a business

I figure we would need to get a LTBV to buy and run a business, but all information on NZIS about LTBV talk about starting a business. However we're thinking of buying a business already operating. Is that something we could do providing we had the cash or would it be pretty impossible to do without being VERY rich. We (my wife and I) were musing about buying a gift shop of some kind, so that we could both imput into the family income rather than just me going out and earning the crust day in and day out.
    Anyone know much about this?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Have you ever run a business before and / or had managerial experience? If not, they wont grant one anyway. As for buying a ready running business, there is no problem with that at all.

The LTBV is essentially for business startups, as thats what they want to attract. If you want to take over an existing business, you have to prove what you can do to it to make it more viable than it already is, including employing people and making it a real benefit to New Zealand.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

nattydread is offline God like figure

what would nzis say about the following proposal..

Whjen we arrive the current mrs balsillie will be (hopefully) employed as a midwife. She is going to the primary applicant on the skilled migrant category

I hope to find As400 work but..
    Will I be able to start a company of my own and do contracting work? (if i cant find permy work??)

Technically it's starting a business, which I've never donw before.., so after readsing your reply to Steve, i'm not sure where I would stand.

(see I can ask proper questions too!!)

hehe I won't throw away my shirt and tie just yet then *sob* no mangerial experience but we thought 'it's a shop....how hard can it be'. NZIS obviously don't share the same view.
    I thought that it would be benefitting the enonomy cos I would be preventing an NZ business closing down.
    Hey Ho!! :icon_sad:

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Craig - Once you've got PR, you can start any business you like ::):

Steve - If only it were as simple as that! Immigration rules and regs, eh? :icon_rolleyes:

Yeah just seen another prospect in foxton, manwatu. 4 Bed House with large building for workshop plus 18 hole craxy golf village. 250NZD, piece of cake to run, easy money, specially if you change workshop into holiday let or rent out.
    I could easily employ a new zealander or two to help out.

Hey Ho think I'll have to stick to plan get job, get pr, and then think of starting business.

moggy is offline God like figure

We also have plans to eventually run our own business, but it would probably be something that we could do part time to begin with and then go full time. I have had a dream for many years of running a plant nursery. To begin with I would start small, just selling from my own house, open evenings and weekends. I was planning on finding a niche market perhaps bamboo or similar which commands high prices because it is fashionable, but relatively cheap to cultivate. But also selling the run of the mill type plants so that everyone is happy. If it took off then I would look to getting some retail premises and just grown the plants on on our land.

*sighs* well I can but dream can't I?

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Welshgirl
    Once you've got PR, you can start any business you like
    So... even if one comes over as skilled labor, one can then open a business? I realize that getting a business loan may not be easy, but NZIS won't get upset? We'd love to open a shop in a couple of years or so.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

You have to stay in your skilled job for at least 3 months after you are granted residency. Once the 3 months are up, you can do whatever takes your fancy - start a business, change your job... whatever you choose! ::):

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Sounds good to me.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast