Thread: newbie....need some guidance

dilphinus is offline Junior Member

Default newbie....need some guidance

Hi, I'm interested in getting a PR in New Zealand.

I'm 25 this year and I've been with my bf for about a year and a half. We aren't sort of living together. On some weekdays, he stays over at my house while on the weekends (Fridays to Mondays) I stay over at his house. Both of us live with our parents and siblings. We have a joint account and we have also been on holiday together. Will this be sufficient for us if I apply as the main applicant and he as my de facto?

I have a 3 year Diploma in Film, Sound and Video from a Singapore polytechnic. Is this considered a qualification in the 'identified cluster'?

I have been working as a corporate travel consultant for about 4 years. However, I do not have any qualifications in tourism/travel. Will this affect my application?

Will I be given points for my qualification and working experience?

I have yet to send out any resumes. I'm still quite new to this.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Sorry, not sure I understood entirely what you meant. Is your boyfriend a kiwi?
    Have you tried the skill migrants points calculator on the NZIS website?

[quote:ba481609ba="SteveyC"]Sorry, not sure I understood entirely what you meant. Is your boyfriend a kiwi?
    Have you tried the skill migrants points calculator on the NZIS website?[/quote:ba481609ba]

Nope, my bf is not a kiwi. Both of us are Singaporeans. I'm dying to get out of Singapore. I have tried the skill migrants point calculator already. I have 105 points. But I'm not sure if I 'deserve' those points.

First of all, I don't know if my qualification will get me 50 points. And I will also be getting points for partner's qualifications and experience?

My qualification is a 3 year diploma from a Singapore government polytechnic.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Hmmm, I think you may not be able to class your boyfriend as a partner tbh if you haven't been living together (you might even have to be married). The qualification may have to be asessed by the NZQA to see how many points it is worth, unless you can find the actual qulification of the 'recognised basic qualifications' list on the NZIS website.
    Have you already visited NZ or are you litertually starting from scratch?

moggy is offline God like figure

I think it unlikely that it would be considered a defacto relationship, however there is nothing to stop you putting in an application each.

The problem with your qualification is that it does not relate to the area of your work experience

There is an identified cluster of Film Auckland, but again it requires work experience, not just qualifications in that area.

I think you are more likely to suceed if you either go down the work to residency route or that you go there with a work permit, get a job and then apply for residency

Thanks Moggy and SteveyC for your advices.

I guess I won't apply for NZ PR at this moment.