Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: tax credits

gossage is offline Member

Default tax credits

is there anything similar in NZ to the tax credits available here in UK? And if so are immigrants entitled to apply once in employment?

NicinNZ is offline Junior Member

Default tax credits

hi,
    Yes there is its called Working for Families, but you can not get it till you are resident and you have to be earning less than about $60000 to quallify.
    Have a look at this
    www.workingforfamilies.govt.nz
    [/url]

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default tax credits

You cannot claim any state benefits until you have been resident for at least 2 years!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

Default tax credits

What falls within the definition of "state benefits"? Do you mean unemployment, health, etc? I am sometimes not quite sure about these terms, considering I speak American, and don't know what terms cross over into the Queen's or Kiwi English.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s

Blog Entries

Default tax credits

State benefits are any financial assistance provided by the government, such as unemployment benefit or the working families assistance scheme.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

kokopeli is offline God like figure

Default tax credits

[color=blue:d013ec255e]Surely, surely, surely....

If you are required to pay taxes as a NZ resident, you're entitled to claim any tax credits relevant to your family circumstances and level of income.

Wouldn't it be a breach of your human rights, the Geneva convention, the international Fair Trade agreement or the Marquis of Queensbury's Rules if you were denied that right?[/color:d013ec255e]

Blog Entries

Default tax credits

Clearly states that new residents are not entitled to any state benefits unless you can prove severe hardship, for the first 2 years of residency.

Dem's da rulez!!
    Taffy

Default tax credits

[color=blue:dce7c67801]Having read the forum over the past year or so, I'm absolutely sure you're right Taffy. Does the two-year rule extend to Child Tax Credit and the other family based schemes? The IRD website says the following, but doesn't appear to mention the two year rule:[/color:dce7c67801]

[color=green:dce7c67801][i:dce7c67801]Family assistance is financial help for families in which children aged 18 years or under are financially dependent. The amount of family assistance you get depends on:

* how many children aged 18 years or younger you have in your care
    * how much you and your partner earn
    * where you get your income from (eg employment or a benefit).

The four kinds of family assistance are:

* family support, paid to low and middle-income families for each child who is aged 18 years or younger
    * child tax credit, an extra payment to low and middle income families who don't receive any other government assistance
    * family tax credit to bring a family's income up to at least $18,368 a year. To receive this assistance, at least one parent in the family must be working for salary or wages
    * parental tax credit for the first 56 days of a baby's life.[/i:dce7c67801][/color:dce7c67801]

[color=blue:dce7c67801]
    While I reckon most people would hope that they don't have to claim benefits, the system appears to be very biased. The words 'cake' and 'eat it' spring to mind.....[/color:dce7c67801]

gossage is offline Member

Default tax credits

I agree with Kokopeli!! I think that as a resident you are entitled to all that citizens are, with the exception of state benefits such as unemployment, incapacity etc. If you pay taxes to the NZ government then you are surely entitled to the tax relief systems that apply. Immigrants to the Uk are able to benefit from the tax credit system here.

Default tax credits

[color=blue:6504ff6194]Hi Goss,

I really don't want to give the impression that I'm a whinging pom...

...and I really do hope that I can keep my income level above the qualifying threshold...

...But...

...It does seem that there is a discriminatory element to the NZ tax policy.

I'd be interested to know what proportion of the NZ working population rely on tax credits and whether any new migrants have challenged the IRD on this.

I wonder if any NZ unis would let me do a Phd to find out....?[/color:6504ff6194]:icon_wink:

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast