Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: to go or not to go - your experience of the move

tashi is offline Junior Member

Default to go or not to go - your experience of the move

I have just joined and this is the first time that I have used a forum so I hope this works.
    We have very recently been told that our visa application has been successful and we are now trying to decide what to do.
    Although we had been thinking about emmigrationg for some time we applied very quickly when the points system changed last autumn. Therefore, we did not do a great deal of research at that time.
    Since then I have been looking at some postings on different forums and have been a little taken aback by how negative some peoples experiences have been.
    I recognise that much of this has to do with expectations/motiviations for making the move. Ours like most people are: outdoor lifestyle, quality/slower pace of life and less pressure on children to grow up so quickly. We do however, have reasonably good secure jobs in the UK and a reasonable quality of life.
    What has worried me are peoples comments on:
    Level of wages - we expected these to be lower but not as much as 2/3 less then uk
    Cost of living/groceries etc similar to uk
    Only 15 days annual leave with most jobs - does not leave much time to explore
    Very mixed reports on schools/education
    We would really appreciate hearing from anyone who has made the move about there experience.
    Many Thanks

moggy is offline God like figure

Welcome

I can only comment from the point of view of having just come back from a holiday there and only visited the south island.
    It is definitely a different pace of life, people are much more polite and friendly and helpful.

I think it is the people who go out with unrealistic expetations who give up and come back. and the sort of person who would go to spain on holiday and only each fish and chips (none of that foreign muck thank you!).
    Also those who don't do their sums before they go. There was a story on another forum about a couple who both worked in the UK with a large combined income, moved to NZ, and she expected to have the same lifestyle previously on lower NZ salaries and not work either. Of course in that situation a family will struggle financially.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

I second what moggy says,

The kind of people who move to NZ and find they cant get on with the NZ lifestyle, are the ones who usually holiday on the costas, expecting all the natives to speak english and all food to be english. They wanted what they had in the UK, but in NZ, and it just doesnt work like that.

The people who find they struggle financially probably didnt do their maths very well, but having said that, until you've lived here its difficult to guage just how expensive / inexpensive life can be.

There's no 2 ways about it, you HAVE to be ready to change YOUR life, as NZ wont change for you! If you're really well off in the UK and can have pretty much all you want, you most likely wont get that here on kiwi wages. If you're not ready for that reality, dont come!

This has been said time and time again... New Zealand is a LIFESTYLE choice, not a wealth choice. Wages ARE lower, material things WILL be fewer.

There should be 1 question for anyone considering the move:

What do you want from your life?

If you have all you want at home, good jobs, nice everything, and are looking for a change of scenery, without changing the rest, stay where you are and move house.

If you want to live with nice people, in a modest home, in a decent city where strangers smile at you in the streets instead of knocking you off the kerb into the gutter, where you might not have everything, but when you walk outside your front door, you know you dont need anything more, come to NZ.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks both for the time that you have taken to reply. Taffy I think you have summarised our position well. We have lots to think about. I hope that the better side of our nature wins over the shallower one.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Only 15 days of holiday :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif *eeek* I must admit I missed that in all my research. Even the freaking NZIS website talks about rebalancing the work/play levels in your lifestyle. 15 days is nothing in a whole year???
    Unless they have like loads more bank holidays or big christmas shutdowns.
    What do y'all think?

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

I think that includes bank holidays and christmas Steve!

there is another thread about it I'll go take a look.

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Yeh It's under the general forum under holiday entitlements you were on it I think, Cal answered the question. Three weeks including bank hols. Yes EEEEKKKK!!!! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Are you sure thats right?
    This would mean next to no holidays.
    I have read that there is due to be a change in the law to provide a minimum of 20 days. Does anyone know if that is right.

nattydread is offline God like figure

but surely every day will be a holiday until you've been there for about 7 years..

I think it's like Taffy said earlier, its a LIFESTYLE thing in NZ..
    You won't be sat at work clock watching and calendar watching..

You'll be so chilled out you'll never utter the phrase.. "I could do with a fortnight in ??????" again..

maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I'm hoping for..

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Every day IS a holiday for Taffy cos he works from home...... :icon_wink:

Though sometimes I wish he DID go out to work :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif :icon_lol:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast