Thread: The sacrifices you are making to go to NZ

moggy is offline God like figure

Default The sacrifices you are making to go to NZ

Just got think what sacrifices people are making in their desire to emmigrate. Although I realise that NZ has more benfits than negatives, there are obviously going to be somethings to sacrifice.

For us: we are not taking our cats with us, move though we love them, it will cost too much to take them.

Midder is offline Member

I think our sacrifices are the same as most. Leaving family and friends, sold our house that our daughter has grown up in, my husband really enjoys the work he does here and is hoping to do something similar in NZ. We're the same as you moggy. We love our dog to bits but it's too expensive and most landlords won't accept her. Add to the fact that we can probably buy a car for the price that it will cost to take her.

Not quite a sacrifice, but we are trying to sell our car because, yet again the cost of shipping is too much. Unfortunately we have an MG and no-one will buy it. We might need to leave it here and try to get someone else to sell it for us. We leave in 2 weeks and have been trying to sell it for about 3 months.

We are planning on starting our new life with everything new. We're not taking any furniture, only things that are sentimental.

Nikki

a suggestion for your car - try selling it on ebay as long as you have a reserve price on it, you should be OK.

We are taking everything that will fit in a 20 ft container, but I don't know if we will get everything that we want in as we are taking a motorbike as well, so we will leave the cheaper bits of furniture and probably the mattresses as the beds are wooden and dismantle very easily and take up very little space.
    Although we are aiming for next year we have started the clear-out already and planning on car booting to get rid of it all.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Does that mean we know how much it costs to take cats then or are we assuming its similar price to dogs?
    Surely they'll be space for a couple of cats in the corner of the container :icon_biggrin:

I am assuming that it isn't going to be cheap to take them, though I adit I dont know the cost. also I know that my MIL would love to have them and they would be spoilt rotten, plus we are thinking about camping for a few weeks when we get there and I don't know what the situation is regarding cats and rented houses. And it would be a horrible journey for them.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Must admit I'm coming round to similar conclusion. We too plan to rent first and the journey would be bad. Sure we can find a home for them. Bloody things are too damn hairy anyway lol

Nonie is offline Member

Hi. I've been told by someone who did it that it costs ?1,200 for two cats. We too are leaving ours behind.

Leaving my son and nephews is the hardest thing for me. Although, my son is nearly 24 and talking about OZ next year so here's hoping.

cal
    cal is offline Member

Hi All,

Well, I think you are making the right decision re: the pets...

We brought our two dogs out, a month after we arrived.

The majority of rental properties here, will not accept any pets! I thought that we had been lucky when we found a rental that would. However it was at a cost...

1. The rental is far too small for the six of us - plus the two dogs!

2. They charged us, well over double the rental fee for equivelent properties for the first month. :icon_twisted: We did threaten to move out (although everywhere we approached, did not accept pets) and therefore, managed to renegotiate the rental fee.

3. The property is surrounded on all but one side with walkways allowing everyone and their dog (pardon the pun) to snoop in at will. Hence very little privacy!

Had we just been a family of six, we would of had our choice of properties and could have moved at will - but we have the dogs and therefore, resigned to living in the rental.

On reflection, we should have left the dogs in England with family untill we were completely settled.

Things are looking up though - we are moving into our new home in Gulf Harbour on the 27th May. We had originally wanted to rent for a couple of years before buying, especially as the market is at a peak - but needs must and we have found the perfect home in the perfect location, so can't complain :icon_biggrin:

netchicken is offline Senior Member

We are quickly starting to the emptying of cities of large dogs. The restrictions are getting tighter every year on having them.

True doggy love is seeing some mature lady taking her dog for a walk with a plastic bag in her hand and a scooper to put its shit in.