Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Holiday entitlements

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Holiday entitlements

Just had another thought! If we are lucky enough to get there and Ian is lucky enough to find employment. Will his employer not let him have the time of next July to come back to Uk for wedding? I just read that you have to be in employment for a year before you get holidays.

Or is it that they would let him take them unpaid?

Can you take one of the jobs that is only a temp contract and still get a work permit of have you got to prove it is a permenant job offer?

Just wondered!

moggy is offline God like figure

If it was me, I would have a really long think about coming back for a wedding.
    Cost of flights = ?500 - ?700 * 5 (rough guide) ?2500 - ?3500
    add on also the cost of the lost wages
    the additional cost of getting multiple entry visas
    the added difficulty of getting an offer of a job and needing to get holidays

you could be looking at well over ?4K that is a lot of money and effort just for a wedding

if you are only coming back for the wedding or a short holiday then you are going to be completely knackered with jet lag the entire time - it really is a long flight for kiddies to endure.

I know that you really want to go to the wedding, but think really hard about it. Your friend/relative is bound to understand as long as you explain in advance. Think what else that money will get you in NZ - it is the cost of a decent car, or a huge chunk of a deposit on a house. The first few months after you get there are going to be the hardest financially untill you have got everything sorted.

Put it this way - if you were still in the UK would you give them a 4K wedding present?

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

hehe gosh talk about realism!!! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    Get them to have the wedding over here :icon_lol:

lol just thought, I said 'here' as if I was actually already in NZ *sigh*

[quote:a7479f3976="SteveyC"]hehe gosh talk about realism!!! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    [/quote:a7479f3976]

Sorry, I am very level headed when it comes to money, it comes from 4 years as a student, followed by 1 either on the dole or working for a temp agency and then another year in Poland earning a Polish teachers salary - and whilst a couple of million a month might sound a lot, it is only ?20 per week. Followed by another couple of low paid jobs until I finally got my break, but old habits die hard.
    I suppose my view is also tinted by the fact that I know none of my family would do the same for me.

hehe fair enough, its good to have peeps like you around to keep all our feet on the ground.

Get what your saying but, no can do, My cousin has to come first on this one. Family is very important to us even though we are moving away from them all :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif I love them all really. It's already priced in the cost of moving. And because of personal circumstances I cannot miss the wedding.

You are the only one who can know how important it is to you to attend and your financial circumstances at the time.

Our circumstances are quite different: It is not something we would do as we are very much buying a one way ticket with no plans to return for a long long time, if at all.

I would still wait to make your final decision till after you are in NZ as you may find that there are things you hadn't factored into the move that suddenly are demanding wads of dosh. As long as you book flights a couple of months in advance you can still get good rates. Hedge your bets as it were.

Hey what you on about you've been already, Jammy! Don't tell me that was a waste of money, you should have just stayed there then . :icon_wink:

Can you get unpaid leave though and can you accept temp contract work and get permit? wasn't sure about that one.

cal
    cal is offline Member

Hi

Only going from my work contract here, you understand... but I am allowed 3 weeks holiday leave inc national holidays, which are effective imediately (pro-rata). In addition, I am entitled to 5 days holiday for kids or family occassions (effective after six months continuous employment). Sick leave is 5 days per year (effective after 6 months continuous employment).

Not as good as the UK entitlements eh??

Salaries too are a little less, but you can always negotiate on that :icon_lol:

Have a great time at the wedding - just be sure to get back on the plane when it's over :icon_wink:

Cal :icon_cool:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast