Thread: I have a complicated subject, so get comfy.

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default I have a complicated subject, so get comfy.

Rebekah our middle daughter has dyslexia, went through primary with not too many problems as she had lots of support and fantastic teachers. When she reached secondary we had problems. Her eldest sister has gone through ok but she is academic, makes a difference. I worked in a school with children with special education needs so I am aware of the system and to be frank, it has put me of teaching, which was my plan after completion of degree. Don't get me wrong I have family members and good friends who are teachers and do a great job. It's just the redtape and children increasingly becoming just statistics.

Anyway back to the point. I now Home Educated Rebekah, leaving my job to be with her. She could not cope with the pressure of seconary school life. Kids blowing joints in her face arosol cans lit and threatening to lite alot of the kids hair, setting fire to her seat, pushing kids of the bus before there stop. All examples of the joys of the school bus. Which schools 'cannot be held responsible for' Teachers calling her stupid and the lack of support she had once received in primary.

I have looked around and know it is perfectly legal in NZ as it is here in the UK but just wondered what visa she would have to come on until we get residency. Is it still a student? as she is receiving an education. Would they turn us down because of it? She is frightened of school.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

From what we've seen of schools (only primary schools) there is a far greater 'bond' going on in the classrooms.

The teachers were making a point of spending time with each student, and helping out the struggling ones.

I'm not sure what high schools are like here, not seeing them, but I dont believe teachers encounter half the problems the UK ones do. There is a much, much greater degree of respect for adults here, that we've encountered. Yes, i know this isnt always the case throughout NZ! Bullying exists, for sure. I reckon she should try an NZ school before committing herself to home schooling. She'll make friends easily which will boost her confidence, and wont have anywhere near the troubles she had before.

If you take note of how kids conduct themselves here, on their way to school etc, you can see a whole world of difference. Where we used to live, the 14 / 15 year olds walking past our house took great pleasure in threatening our (at the time) 4 year old daughter, with pleasant expressions such as 'what the f*** are you looking at' and a few more serious ones which I wouldnt care to mention on here.

Anyway, if she really can't cope with the thought of school, then she wont need a student visa. Student visas are only required to attend actual schools / universities or to do home courses as set by an institution of that kind.

Sorry, I waffled on a bit there!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

No you don't thanks for the advice and info I really appreciate it. We did think of looking around before we decided. we have to anyway as her sisters still attend school. What visa does she come on if not. Can we change it if we like the schools? or visa versa if she comes on student visa does she have to attend? confused? I am!

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

I home-educated my 9yo for about 18 months in the UK after a bad time at school which left him stammering and without any self-esteem. He is at school now, at his request, and enjoying it (most of the time). I am hoping he will settle in a NZ school but all my kids know that home-educating is an option if school really is too much due to bullying etc.

You've probably checked the web for info and the website http://www.minedu.govt.nz/index.cfm?...xparentid=5611 What is different in NZ is that they pay you for homeschooling your kids. I would have thought you could homeschool your daughter whilst on a visitor's visa as you are still under the jurisdiction of the UK Education Dept. Once you have PR then you will need to inform the relative NZ department.

It might, however, be worth getting Student visas for both your daughters in case your H-E one decides to give school a try. Make it clear that you will homeschool (must get used to saying homeschool rather than home-educate) her again if it does not work out. Knowing what girls are like, this will probably depend on whether she gets a friend quickly! :icon_rolleyes: ::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

Thank you so much Glenda and Taffy, I was a little scared of asking the question as people are quite negative about the whole subject. But when your child is so upset and in danger of suffering emotional problems as a result of the treatment, you just want the best for them! Thank again! She say's she will give it a go. ::): Once Ian gets a job( see how positive i am) We can look at the area we have to go and take it from there. It will worry me if we have to move again ie jobs or bad area if they have all settled in school though. I have three girls 8, 12, and 14.

Would be better if she did settle I could complete my degree a lot quicker and even get a part time job, help with money.