Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Work To Residence?

Col44 is offline Junior Member

Default Work To Residence?

Hiya all, thinking (long and hard) about making the move over, I am a LGV1 driver and know there are a few Haulage co.s that are Accredited employers ,does this mean that i could gain residence quicker/easier than going through other routes? how would this work when bringing wife and 3 young kids.
    Basic questions I know but have been trolling thro many sites the last few days and my heids up my jacksi, just looking for simple advice really particularly making the family feel secure as soon as poss.
    Colin

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Col

Sounds like we are in similar position as you Col, we also have three kids and you want to make sure you are doing the right thing for the family. We looked into Permanent Residency through the EOI route but Ian hasn't enough points without job offer. The other way we looked at is to go on a work permit/visa with an accredited employer and then work towards residency. I think but not 100% sure that you have to be there a few months before starting the process of PR. Anyone else out there Know because I'm starting to waffle! Help! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

There is no set time before you can start a PR application, as long as you gain enough points you can just apply.

Work to residence is a tricky one as you have to have a job earning at least $45,000 a year, and meet the other criteria set out for the category.

I would be more inclined to go for a work permit once you have a job, and then apply for PR straight away.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Taffy I'm confused I thought the work to Res was the work permit. So if Ian gets a job offer does it have to be with an accredited employer? Didn't think we could get in any other way than job offer EOI or WTR Ian is 37 so this rules out holiday work visa.

Thanks Taffy.
    Sara

Blog Entries

It's certainly easier if he finds a job with an accredited employer as you dont have to jump through hoops to get a work permit.

Work permits and work to residence visas are a seperate entity. Work to residence visas are for people who have no other immigration options (falling short on points etc) or in some cases are granted to people who have enough points, but do not have a job offer.

Work permits are temporary entry permits, allowing you to work for a specified employer for the term of your contract. Initially you can have a work permit for up to 2 years, which is extendable as long as your contract is extended, but you will never gain residency with it.

So... instead of trying the WTR visa (which also means you have to hold down the same or similar job for 3 years before you can even attempt to apply for residency), try to find a job and get a work permit, and then you are free to apply for residency whenever you please.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Thanks Taffy

That's opened another route I didn't see that at all. Brain not in gear when on immigration site, just too darn excited.

Default i'm so confused again!!

Taffy,
    After looking again at all the visa's I still don't get it. Just when I thought I knew what we were doing :017:. It's the work visa and points business I don't get now.

I'll just tell you what we get and you tell me which to go for :002: If you tell me we don't stand a chance, I will go and drink myself into a stuper :030: Help!!

Ian is an field ops manager, in charge of operations for all of Newcastle and Yorkshire with a uk telecoms company. He has no degree. Worked his way through the ranks. Self-employed doing Satalite TV for 5 years then started 10 years ago with telecom company on Installation, Service Tech, Team Leader, Area Manager then current role.

We get 25 points for age Ian is 36,37 in July - 30Points for work experience he has 10 years. Don't want to live in Auckland -10 points

So as you can see we are short unless job offer. Can we still do work permit by getting job or have we got to work to residency? Sorry I'm so thick can not believe iIm doing a degree, better not pin our hopes on me passing :icon_confused:

Blog Entries

Hi,

No points are required for a work permit. As long as your employer will back you up that you're the best person for the job, and you can provide evidence to say you have experience in the job you are taking on, you should be fine.

Once you are working on the work permit, you can claim the points for a job and submit your EOI for residency.

You wont have to go anywhere near the work to residency visa at all.
    Taffy

Sooo ....sharp intake of breath :icon_lol: ....here goes, my ex workmate thats just arrived in Auckland told me, before leaving, that the Haulage Co. he's got a job with are dealing with his permit , I presume that it is just a straight forward work permit and he was asked if he wanted them to sort out his permenant residency application. So just because the Employer is an Accredited one it doesn't have to mean you are going down the Work to Residency route(3 years down the line before gaining Residency) So where would the EOI fit in......damn I wish i had spoken to him more about the details ,I was more dreaming how cool it would be and how much a lucky b*gger he was :icon_frown: Haven't seen him in about 3 weeks ,in that 3 weeks I've started to think more seriously about it all, probs be a couple of months before i here from him!!
    So in short should me & her fill out an EOI and start looking for a job with an employer thats not necessarly (Spell that again,sod off its late!) an Accredited one. Helen plans to get work after were settled etc.
    As you can tell I'm right at the beginning of the process :icon_cry: sorry for being a bit of a Numpty.

Taffy's just answered some of my questions whilst I was typing...telepathic or what :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast