Thread: HELP!!! The beginning.

moley is offline Junior Member

Default HELP!!! The beginning.

Please Please can i ask all you kind people for some help and advice. My husband and i have decided we would like to emigrate to New Zealand with our two children. When we have looked into what to do first it has been abit mind boggling!!!! :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif I am right in thinking we need to apply for a EOI first. My husband is a Electronic engineer so i am assuming we would apply for the skilled migrant. Do you try to get a job first in New Zealand or apply first and then look for jobs once you have been given residency??? Also if you are accepted for residency is there a time limit that you have to move to New Zealand.Also could you please give us a rough idea how much all this might cost us. Sorry about all the questions, but i hope someone can help us. Many thanks in advance. Moley

joelle is offline Member

Hi Moley, :039:

Either really - personally I would complete the online EOI or at least the points indicator to give you an idea of your point score.

This could be the decider as you may have to have employment to get over 100 points.

If your accepted into NZ on a work to residence permit I believe you have 6 months to find a job. If you get a residency permit I think you have approx 2 Years. I would also check the skills shortage list as I think Electronic Engineer may be on there. From having your passport stamped you have 1 year to move over, as for the cost of applying there is a good link on NZ immigration website:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../formsandfees/

If you get an Invite to Applly (ITA) you also have to pay for things like police certificates ?10, medicals - this varies over the country. Also if like me you have to get your qualification assessed that can be a few hundred ?'s. It's all worth it though. :icon_lol:

hope this helps

Joelle :024:

moley is offline Junior Member

[quote:6a7a56e02d="joelle"]Hi Moley, :039:

Either really - personally I would complete the online EOI or at least the points indicator to give you an idea of your point score.

This could be the decider as you may have to have employment to get over 100 points.

If your accepted into NZ on a work to residence permit I believe you have 6 months to find a job. If you get a residency permit I think you have approx 2 Years. I would also check the skills shortage list as I think Electronic Engineer may be on there. From having your passport stamped you have 1 year to move over, as for the cost of applying there is a good link on NZ immigration website:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra.../formsandfees/

If you get an Invite to Applly (ITA) you also have to pay for things like police certificates ?10, medicals - this varies over the country. Also if like me you have to get your qualification assessed that can be a few hundred ?'s. It's all worth it though. :icon_lol:

hope this helps

Joelle :024:[/quote:6a7a56e02d] Hi Joelle Thanks for the reply :icon_biggrin: We have done the points system on line and it was 140. We will send off thr EOI. We have been looking at the recruiting sites on the main immigrations web site for jobs and there have been a few on there. Do you know if my husband started to apply for these jobs would he have to go over to New Zealand for the interview or do these companies have contacts in United Kingom?? Sorry by the way are you in New Zealand??? I am assuming you are has you said it will be worth it. :icon_wink:

joelle is offline Member

Hi Moley,

Sadly no at the moment I'm in wet England. I have visited New Zealand and did quite abit of travelling around the North of the North Island and have relatives just outside Auckland.

About the recruitment agencies - you'll get mixed reviews try not to go for the ones who charge for finding you work. I would think that they would expect you to go over to NZ for an interview. But I have heard, although I think its rare, of people getting jobs by phone especially if its a skill they're in dire need of.

Mind you with 140points you have a very good chance of getting accepted without a job.

Hope all this helps!!! Good luck :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :026: