Thread: Can I improve on anything

shazzy is offline Junior Member

Default Can I improve on anything

Hi, I'm new to this. I'm after advice on the best way to emigrate to NZ. My parents want to sell up and move out there next year. Being the only child and no ties here in the UK I would like to join them. I currently work in the freight forwarding industry exporting goods all over the world. I have been in this industry for nearly 19 years now. I have work related certificates and also have a BTEC. I am also starting a course to learn about the IT Industry. I am a healthy person with no criminal records. Is there a chance of me emigrating? Can I do anything to help myself succeed?[/list]

moggy is offline God like figure

If your parents are over 56 then it could be impossible for them to apply for residency at that age, I don't believe that there is provision for people to retire to NZ

[quote:416f62d235="moggy"]If your parents are over 56 then it could be impossible for them to apply for residency at that age, I don't believe that there is provision for people to retire to NZ[/quote:416f62d235]

Thanks, Moggy! They are over 56, but I read that if they have a certain amount of money to invest in house, car etc for two years they can move?
    Sorry to ask, but some of the books we have are a little confusing sometimes.

for the definitive and most up to date reply look here
    www.immigration.govt.nz

to apply you?ll need to be under 85 years of age and have at least NZ$1million in investment funds (380K in GPB)

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

If they are going on the Investor visa, then they will need several million dollars which will need to be invested for two years. The scale starts at $1m for those under 45 who have had 10 years business experience and goes up.

NZ doesn't seem to mind older folks staying for 6 months of the year, but they are reluctant to give them PR unless they have close relatives in the country. If you have got a couple of days free you could trawl through the immigration website. I know this is obvious but I keep forgetting there is more info on this site than just the forums - if you haven't done so already, check on this site's Immigration FAQ http://www.movetonz.org/immigration.html

::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

[quote:a190c75f39="moggy"]for the definitive and most up to date reply look here
    www.immigration.govt.nz

to apply you?ll need to be under 85 years of age and have at least NZ$1million in investment funds (380K in GPB)[/quote:a190c75f39]

That looks like they are okay then. Any ideas about my situ? I've been in exporting for 19 years now and have a BTEC from college. No probs with health or criminal records. Just signed up for an IT course and very eager to work in NZ and learn new skills and culture.
    Thanks for your help Moggy! Very much appreciated!

Have a look on the immigration web site and check on your points for getting in as a skilled migrant. If your parents are already in the country then they can sponsor you, which will help with your application.

It also depends where you want to go in NZ as you get more points for not wanting to go to Aukland.

If you cant get enough points then your only option is to apply for a work permit, get a job and then apply for PR once you are in the country

[quote:5c81be8f36="moggy"]Have a look on the immigration web site and check on your points for getting in as a skilled migrant. If your parents are already in the country then they can sponsor you, which will help with your application.

It also depends where you want to go in NZ as you get more points for not wanting to go to Aukland.

If you cant get enough points then your only option is to apply for a work permit, get a job and then apply for PR once you are in the country[/quote:5c81be8f36]

Thanks to both Moggy and Glenda. You have both been a great help. Have a nice day!