Thread: The waiting is finally over!

ChrisBlunt is offline Member

Default The waiting is finally over!

Hi,

We haven't posted anything for quite a while as we have been waiting for the assessment back from the NZQA, but we finally have PR! :icon_cool:

Well the last week has really turned out to be quite strange, The NZQA assessment arrived on the tuesday morning (19/04/05) and we had our Immigration Interview in the afternoon. This Monday PR was granted and Wednesday we completed our house sale! :icon_biggrin:

We have moved into a rented house, which belongs to a friend of a friend so we have a rolling month contract, which basically means that if all goes smoothly we will be arriving in Wellington mid July. :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

We are both handing in our notice next week, that is something I'm really looking forward to doing. :icon_twisted:

Cheers,

Chris and George (and the kids!)

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

That's great news, congratulations!

Not long to go now......... :icon_biggrin:

Keep us updated!

avisaurea is offline Junior Member

Welshgirl, do u have a job offer?

Blog Entries

I'm Taffy's other half and Taffy is working, so we recently applied for Residency. Taffy originally came over here on a WHV and me and my daughter were just on a visitors visa, so I'm not actually allowed to work until Taffy get's a work permit (hopefully any day now!.....).
    So, in answer to your question, no I don't have a job offer, but Taffy's job has enabled us to apply for Residency.

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Welshgirl,

What is it like going to another country with your child and coping with everyday life? Do you make friends and cope with the major decision you have made in your life.

Having three girls and being very close to my family, the prospect is alittle daunting. Although I do want to make the move. Do you really think it is a better place for the kids than the UK, even with some of the negatives highlighted on the forum.

We like the look of hamilton and in fact all the west coast, I like Taranaki but not sure about work prospects. property seems to be alittle cheaper too. Hope there are some telecom jobs.
    Sara

Blog Entries

Hi Sara,

I must admit it was daunting bringing our 5 year old daughter out here - half the reason we decided to come was because we believed we could provide a better life here for her than we could in the UK, so we could only hope that it was the right thing to do in taking her away from her grandparents/family, school, routine, etc...
    In hindsight, I would say it was the right choice. I was, by my own admission, sometimes an over-protective parent whilst we were in the UK. If she went out out of my sight for a few second in the supermarket, I would start to panic. Now, when we go the local shopping centre, I will quite happily let her go to the toilet on her own and have a wander around a nearby shop on her own, without the feeling of dread that something will happen to her. This is not to say that kids are 100% safe here and should be left to wander the streets from a very young age of course - it's just that, well, kids seem to be allowed to be kids over here, because they grow up in a much safer and friendlier environment. My experience here is that NZ is, in general, a much more child-tolerant place than the UK.
    When we first got to NZ, we lived in Tauranga for a few months, and I admit to having doubts as to whether it was the best place for children. Yes, it's a beautiful place, but we felt quite isolated there and there's not much for kids around that area. Since we came to Hamilton however, I am convinced it was the right thing to do. There are so many opportunities for children here. I guess it's to do with it being a larger city, with more amenities, etc. The people here are friendly and the schooling appears to be of a high standard. Our daughter hasn't actually started school yet (Immigration red tape :013: ) but when she does, it will be an opportunity for her to make plenty of friends and also for me to make a few friends (hopefully!).
    Anyway, enough waffle! Sorry for the long post but I feel quite strongly that this is just a NICE place for kids to grow up!

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Hi Welshgirl

Thanks for the reply it makes me feel a lot better, as Ian has just said, just the fact that they are allowed to be children sold it for him. There is too much peer pressure on our young people today to grow up too fast. We have had no end of trauma with our 14 year old girl and we didn't want to have to go through similar issues with the other two girls. Getting them away seems like the right thing to do. My parents are very supportive of our decision which helps, although it will be hard to leave them. I think everyone else thinks we are crazy.

It's nice to know other people are there living the life and are happy, as you so obviously are.