Thread: how do we go to nz

jacqui is offline Junior Member

Default how do we go to nz

Hi, i'm new to the site - found it by accident yesterday and cant believe the answers we have found so far to questions we have had for months. The problem we have is that my hubby is a welder but he hasnt worked for approx 10 years as we switched roles when the welding jobs dried up in our area and he looked after the kids while I worked etc. Our youngest will be leaving school this year and now is the time to start looking for work again and we heard that the points system has changed and decided to try New Zealand as we have wanted to go there for years but never had the points before. We have now looked at the EOI and are more confused than ever -

Will the fact that he hasnt worked for 10 years hold us back - he still has his certificates from his apprenticeship and his City and Guilds part I and part II

What would be our best route - please someone advise us!!!!!

Also where are the best places to go for welding jobs - we will go anywhere

Many thanks in advance for all advice given

P.S. LOVE THE SITE

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I dont think the fact he hasnt worked for the last 10 years is a problem for your application, but it does mean you cannot claim any extra points if the job is classified as being in an area of absolute skills shortage. Jobs on that list usually require you to have been working for at least 12 months out of the last 18 months.

That aside, your husband is still a skilled worker, and he still has work experience, which is the main thing and depending on other factors such as age, number of years experience etc, should be fine for an application.

Have you tried the points indicator to see if you score enough for the EOI?

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/pointsindicator

Welcome to the forum, by the way!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Hi Taffy,

Thanks for your quick reply

We have looked at the points and without job offer we get 80 points so we started to fill out EOI (don't know where they get 2 hours to fill form in from - more like two weeks) and obviously 130 with job offer - so it looks like we'll have to pay a visit to NZ first to try and get job offer.

I just wanted to ask, on the form on question A12 taxation and social security number - what is taxation no. and is social security your NI number?

Also do you think he will be able to claim any points for work history - (this would be from 1981 - 1987 with one employer - which closed down (shipyards) and then various short term contracts until 1992

:icon_confused:

skybluearmy is offline Senior Member

HI, the taxation no part isn't starred/asterixed so it is not mandatory, as for the social security number, just put down your national insurance number!

thanks for that, there's another question we can tick off the list

::): ::):

marina73 is offline Junior Member

Hi there,

Just to give you an idea my fiance didn't have enough points so he decided to look for a job online and got a job offer in less than 48 hrs without attending an interview. So you don't even need to come to NZ first. There is a huge shortage of skilled workers and I am sure he won't have a problem finding a well paid job almost instantly.
    Let us know how you get on and come and see us when you get here. Good Luck!

Cheers,
    Marina

Duke is offline Senior Member

Hi jacqui, yes, a welder is on the long term shortage list as fiiter/welder ANZSCO CODE # 323213...look at the qualifications on the immigration site...the majority of welding jobs seem to be mig welding and pay is neg. but rate seems to be 21.40hr for light fab... the areas that I saw most the work was around Auckland industry, alot of heavy fab jobs...but there are many others that pop up from time to time.. Like New Plymouth/Mt.Taranaki(dairy,oil,gas industry), Napier, Hamilton(light fab), Christchurch(heavy/light fab), Greymouth( mine equipment resurfacing), Dunedin (gold mines)...and others...I am also looking for a welding/boilermaking job in NZ, I have been through an agency that seemed to disappear from the net but another agency called Adecco(another headhunter) contacted me asking question on what type of job I was looking for... Good luck with the job search, and if you have ?? please do not be shy to share them... heres a couple sites that are dear too me... SEEK - New Zealand's no. 1 jobs, employment, career and recruitment site http://www.trademe.co.nz/