Thread: House build costs

siggy is offline Junior Member

Default House build costs

Hi Guys

any idea how much a house costs to build in NZ?
    Nothing flash, just your average 2 / 3 bed house.

Been looking & there seems to be many plots for sale, so maybe getting a house built could be an option!?!?

Just dreaming, but all info is going into the old memory banks :o)

Siggy

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

I was looking at this a while back, and it was around $180,000 for a fairly nice house to be built, the only problem was adding the cost of a section, and the hassle of the mortgage details.

If you can find a section out of the city, you could well get yourself land and a house built for $250,000.

That was what I got from my limited research. I'm sure there's cheaper builders and sections out there!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Milliemoo is offline Senior Member

Hi,

We're budgeting $1000 per sq m, but it all depends on the size and spec of the house.

Milliemoo :icon_wink:
    Fly to Auckland 12th Nov - Devonport here we come!

siggy is offline Junior Member

Thanks Guys

most appreciated.
    Gives me something else to think about.

Siggy

selchie is offline All Knowing Deity
    Blog Entries

I know nothing about the costs, but if you build, be sure you know about utilities. Are you buying a lot in a subdivision or in town, where the utilities are extant in the road and waiting to be hooked up to your house? Or are you out in the boondocks, where you have to run in power and telephone from a ways off, and you need a well and a septic system? If you do need a well and septic system, is there actually enough water, and has the site been evaluated for its ability to support a septic system?

Also, is the property OK to build on? We currently live in landslide country in California, and often a 40 acre property in the mountains may have only a small area on which it is safe to build. I don't know much of anything about NZ's geology for these purposes, but I recommend that you do your homework. I do know its earthquake country over there.

So many people have been burnt buying property without knowing these things. I would recommend that you ask the utility companies and/or a local agency about utilities, and perhaps also a geotechnical firm, if the property is at all geologically suspect. Don't necessarily trust your realtor or contractor to know this stuff. It isn't their expertise.

Good luck.
    If men had wings and bore black feathers, few of them would be clever enough to be crows.
    - Rev. Henry Ward Beecher, mid-1800s