Thread: Franchise

Default Franchise

Hi,
    We have started looking into purchasing a franchise (IT support type thing!) in NZ and presume in order to do this we will need to apply for a LTBV. However the NZIS site doesn't seem to stipulate exactly how much money they would expect you to have in order to set up the business and support yourself. Is there a minimum or is it purely dependant on the type of business etc. Also is there an alternative route in if we purchase a franchise (other than ltbv).

Just as an alternative does anyone have any suggestions as to how to get someone with years of IT experience but no formal qualifications into NZ?

Would be v v grateful if anyone can offer any answers suggestions or advice.
    Many thanks.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Franchise

Hi,

I'm in IT, with no formal qualifications, and the only way I could do it was by securing a job. IT is also a future growth area, so under the skilled migrant category you can gain a few extra points :icon_biggrin:

There is no other way to start a business first off other than with an LTBV. Your only other option is to gain residency first, and then start a business.

All the best
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default Franchise

Hi Taffy,
    Many thanks for the speedy reply. You have confirmed what we thought.
    Best I get that A+ and MCSE sorted then to gain even more points. :icon_wink:

Thanks again.
    Michael and Sian McClarence

Blog Entries

Default Franchise

Just note though, that you need to have business management/ownership experience to qualify for a LTBV, although it doesnt specifically need to be in the same field as the business you are starting.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Default franchise

thanks for that I already run a computer solutions company here in the UK, so hope that will count for something!!!!

Thanks for all the great advice you put on here and for the jobs site.....maniacs look like the best

Michael McClarence.

Blog Entries

Default Franchise

IT Maniacs are a great company to deal with, and certainly live up to the 'maniac' title!
    Taffy

Default Franchise

their job descriptions did give me the idea that they were a few sausages short of a barbee........as you seem to be the font of all knowledge around here, would you know how many points (if any???) an MCSE in windows 2000, A+, MCDST and MCP qualifications would get me???

Thanks again
    Michael.

Blog Entries

Default Franchise

Hi,

There was an enormous posting about MCSE's etc, but I think it went with the old forum we had.

If I remember rightly, MCSE etc do not qualify for extra points as a qualification.

I'll try and dig out the old forum and take a trawl through the database, see if I cant find it, but I'm pretty sure it was a no.
    Taffy