Thread: Hi All + Nurse employment question

siggy is offline Junior Member

Default Hi All + Nurse employment question

First off Hello All :o)

I've just convinced my wife that a move to NZ would be great for us - better life style, adventure, opportunities for our 18 yr old daughter, etc, etc.
    So, I've just begun looking into the immigration requirements & such.

Having read that it's easier to 'get in' if you have a job offer, it seems to me that making the application with my wifes qualifications might be best as she's a Psychiatric Nurse - Sister / G grade (I think) - whereas I'm a Computer Programmer (both our jobs are in the long term skills shortage list!).

So my question is, has anyone got any experience of obtaining a nursing position through one / any of the nurse agencies?
    Any recommendations / suggestions?

Many thanks in advance

Siggy

Midder is offline Member

Hi Siggy,

my experience is don't use an agency. I was with Nurseworlwide and Health Staff Recruitment. I first applied in June last year and by January this year I still didn't have a sniff of a job. I'm not a nurse, I'm a Midwife. I eventually got so fed up of waiting for the agencies to pull their fingers out, that I sat one night on the internet and got a list of Hospitals and the phone numbers for department heads, managers and recruitment departments. On the Sunday night at a time I knew there would be people at work, I phoned these people. Within the first 3 calls I had a job offer and phone interviews lined up. Agencies are too expensive and most hospitals don't like to use them, same as in UK. For a ?20 phone bill, I'd got myself a job and I start in July.

Hope this helps
    Midder :icon_mrgreen:

Hi Midder

thanks for the reply & the advice, it's very much appreciated.

Are you now in NZ following these offers / interviews?
    Did / has your EOI, etc go smoothly following the offer?
    Did you already have the EOI in the pool and the offer helped it through? What timeframe was the offer open for?

So many questions :o)

We haven't put an EOI in as yet.
    We're feeling out the whole NZ thing as a family at the moment and trying to work out the practicalities (mainly because my 18 yr old daughter is starting Uni in Sept - so we have many questions about transfering to a NZ Uni for her remaining years, if she does her first year in the UK. But also the usual leaving family & friends + daughters boyfriend, etc).

Thanks again

Siggy

PS. I re-read your mail and see that you start in July. Congrat's!

Midder is offline Member

Hi Siggy,

In reply to your post:
    No we're not in NZ yet, planning the big move in June.
    I had the job offer then submitted my EOI, as you might see everything has gone pretty quickly, so definetely recommend having a job offer before putting in your EOI. I haven't got my PR granted yet. The big hold up is the amount of time it takes to get registration to work as a midwife in NZ, not to mention the cost. There is quite a lot involved in getting registered so I would recommend that your wife starts this process early. Not nearly as easy as getting registered in the UK. I had to get 2 certificates of Good Standing, a medical certificate, a transcript of my programme from Uni, a letter of verification from the NMC, and had to do a self assessment of competencies and post reg portfolio.

Tell your wife to get started now, I'm still waiting on my registration. I can't get ITA processed until this comes through.

LOL Midder :icon_biggrin:

Hi Midder

your employer seems to have been really good, holding the position open for you until all is sorted! I guess this'll vary from individual case to case. Did you have a timescale from your employer as to how long they'd keep the position open?

Anyway, good luck with the move.

Siggy

PS. What's ITA? Intention to accept!?!? :o) thanks Taffy ;O)

PPS. By the way, where abouts are you going to settle? Just being nosey :o)
    I like the look of Bay of Islands or maybe Hawkes Bay area.

PPPS. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to register as a nurse / midwife in NZ? Just to get an idea of the upfront costs.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

ITA = Invitation to Apply (for permanent residency)
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Midder is offline Member

Hi Siggy,

PPS. By the way, where abouts are you going to settle? Just being nosey :o)
    I like the look of Bay of Islands or maybe Hawkes Bay area.

PPPS. If you don't mind me asking, how much is it to register as a nurse / midwife in NZ? Just to get an idea of the upfront costs.

Ask any questions you like. I know it's all needed. We still have loads of questions.

Anyway, in reply, we're moving to Gulf Harbour, in North Auckland. It's on the Hibiscus Coast, and looks absolutely gorgeous. It's all new housing, beaches, golf courses and more beaches.

In answer to the cost of registration, in total it has cost me around ?500. Approx ?350 was just for the application ($880NZ). Then there was the cost to get a transcript and letters from the NMC. A costly process, but it should be worth it in the end.

Speak to you soon I hope

Midder :icon_biggrin:

Hi Midder

thanks for the reply, especially the figures for the registration.

I've just downloaded some pdf forms from the NCNZ which will help guide the reg process. My wife said that she may as well get registered now, so it's all in place for when the house sells & / or she starts ringing round :o)

Cheers

Siggy