Thread: I'm already HERE..Now how do I STAY here?

Fenryr is offline Junior Member

Default I'm already HERE..Now how do I STAY here?

Kia ora, folks!
    I came down here to visit a few mates a month ago, and now I want to live here..I already converted my CDL-A driver's liscense to a NZ class 5f, since I'm a heavy truck driver, and now I'd like to get work and settle down...Any suggestions?

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

I'm assuming you are here on a Visitors Visa, and coming from the USA, that entitles you to initially be here for 3 months (although it can be extended).

If you really want to stay here, you'll need to find yourself a skilled job, then get yourself a work permit. If all goes well and you decide to live and settle here permanently, you can apply for residency.

Of course there are lots of considerations as to where in NZ you will settle, whether you can get a job, etc.... What part of NZ are you in at the moment?

Good luck! :icon_biggrin:

Fenryr is offline Junior Member

Thank you for your reply. ::):
    I'm in the Wellington area, and I have already extended my visa until December. I have also taken and passed the exam for a NZ class 5f heavy truck liscense, and have over 12 years experience in truck driving, though admittedly none of it here in NZ.

Welshgirl is offline Super Moderator
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Heavy truck driving is on the immediate skills shortage list, which means you would qualify for a work permit, provided you have an offer of employment. This being the case though, I don't think you could get Residency with this occupation, but there's nothing to stop you applying to renew your work permit indefinitely..... Without residency, you will never have the same rights with regards to health care, social security benefits, etc, but it will mean you can stay in NZ as long as you have a valid work permit.

So, if you're still keen on staying here, maybe you can keep your ear to the ground for a job in your area, then apply for a work permit.....

Just to be on the safe side, I would give the NZIS a quick call - (freephone within NZ) 0508 558855 - to see if they do classify heavy truck driving as skilled employment suitable for Residency.

Let us know how it goes :icon_biggrin: