Thread: Best applicant option for EOI

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Best applicant option for EOI

Do you know what? I feel like I'm going round in flippin' circles 'ere. My partner is fast losing faith in our success of applying and we haven't even done it yet! This is our dilemma. He has the university degree (Humanities) but no work experience, I have the professional experience (performing arts freelance community artist), but no academic qualifications. So who applies? Neither of us have a job offer yet. Or do we apply under the business thing as I freelance here and run my own little theatre company, or do we use his previous qualifications and 14 years experience of being a barber/hairdresser? Or do we just come over and find a job when we're there? But with three kids including a teenager who doesn't want to come because I'm 'wrecking her life'? We want this so much and I'm the positive one who holds it all together. Can anyone offer respite? :icon_confused:

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Ah teenagers.. everything you do is to 'make my life a misery' or 'just to spite me' and 'doing it on purpose just to get at me'. Bless 'em!

Anyway.. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place there. Your partners degree isnt relevant to being a barber, so you will score no points for it. Either of your experience will count for a lot, providing you have a job offer!

You could go down the business route, but its a long and complicated (not to mention expensive!) route.

Try doing a search on here for posts by lisa m. She is a hairdresser who managed to secure a job, and her residence has just been approved.

Whether or not you up sticks and move here to find a job is up to you. Its what we did and its now paid off, but all depends on your financial situation as to how long you can hold out for a job.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Have you done the skilled migrant pojnts indicator on the NZIS website? The threshold is so low at the moment, I wouldn't be surprised if you scored enough pojnts with the degree alone.

DawnMarron is offline Oh Masterful One

Default POints for EOI

Hi Stevie, thanks for posting a reply. Yeah, I've just re-tried filling in the NZIS forms with different combinations of our experience and qualifications and it would seem if we use Garys hairdressing quals instead of his degree we sail through the points. Crazy huh?

Once again. thanks for the reply, nice to know I'm not just rattling for nothing!

See ya xx

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

No probs, just bear in mind that a job offer is still better than just qualifications in ideal circumstances.
    Read Taffy sticky topic on The mstery of processing EOIs (think it's at top of general section). :icon_biggrin: