Thread: Is it possible for parents to come to NZ to live with us ?

chrisampJulie is offline Junior Member

Default Is it possible for parents to come to NZ to live with us ?

My wife and I are wondering if it is possible for my parents (in their 70's) to come to NZ with us when we finally get the go ahead to emmigrate ?

Chris and Julie

fisheress is offline Senior Member

I think you can only add dependent children to your application. The max age for skilled migrant is 55 (or there abouts). Your parents could apply for residency as investors if they are younger than 84 and have enough money (not sure how much though). My parents hope to follow us and were coming as investors, but we found out that because they will have 2 out of 3 children living in NZ, they can come over anyway (centre of family gravity I think).
    So have you any siblings you can persuade to go with you????

Hope this helps. As I say, I'm not 100% certain about some of the figures so perhaps someone else can help too.
    Fisheress

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

To be an investor in your 70's would require about a $10million investment! The investor category also has a points system, and the older you are the more cash you have to stump up.

Depending on how much family your parents are leaving behind, you may well be able to sponsor them. As fisheress pointed out, its a 'centre of gravity' thing, meaning you can sponsor them as long as they have more family in NZ than back home.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

NW2NZ is offline Junior Member

And remember that, if all else fails, they can stay in NZ for 6months every year, or 9months out of 18. I think the family sponsorship category has been frozen for this year (but please check), but is it feasible for them to buy a place in NZ and exit every six months, and stay out for six months, until this category is reinstated? Many UK pensioners spend the winter on those cheap longstay hols in places like Cyprus. Personally, I don't think I'd mind hopping over to Oz every 6months...provided I could send Rentokil to the house first :icon_mrgreen: