Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working Holiday Visa

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Working Holiday Visa

Just been reading NZIS site again and can't find any reference to only being able to work for 3 months of the 12 you are there with. Am I just missing it, or has it genuinely changed, if it has changed this makes it a much easier way of going about things if you need a job to pass 100 points.

Also, is it the same as with all visas, you have 12 months to use it once it is issued?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve,

Different visas/permits have different conditions/time limits.

When you get your WHV, it states on the visa that you may only work for up to 3 months.

You are right, on the NZIS website it says you must adhere to the rules of the WHV scheme, and when you click on the link for the rules, it tells you that you must adhere to the rules, which is very useful, I must say!

It says on my WHV that I may undertake any employment, except permanent employment, which must not exceed 3 months in total.

All visas will expire within 12 months, so you have to arrive within NZ in that time frame to activate it with a permit. Your permit then lasts as long as stated on it.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

So if I get Visa, now then don't go til June, when they give me my permit, it will still be vallid for 12 months right, not twelve minus May and June.
    I couldn't even find anything on the UK WHV scheme that referred to the 3 months, but I'm SURE i've seen it written before, this is why I thought it had changed. Don't spose you can link me to the page where it says it could you?
    Cheers fella

Blog Entries

Correct, it doesnt matter if you turn up 11 months after your visa is granted, your permit will be valid for 12 months afterwards.

I'll see if i can find that link for you in the bowels of the NZIS site.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

hehe are you implying the NZIS produce a lot of ****. :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif
    That'd be great if you could. I hope it's changed.

NW2NZ is offline Junior Member

Just to add that I'm sure I've read somewhere that the WHV is to be extended to 2yrs from this July.

Does the reference to working for 3 months mean you can't work for one employer for more than 3 months, before moving onto the next? (That would make sense) Or does it mean you can't work for more than 3 months for anyone, throughout the duration of your visa? Surely, if they're extending the WORKING Holiday Visa to 2yrs they allow you to work? Who could support themselves for 3yrs without an income?

What do you think?

Hmm its a bit tricky, this one, if the rumours are correct, then that would explain the lack of reference to three months on NZIS site. I'm sure it was very clearly stated that you could only work for 3 months out of the 12 full stop. There was also a spiel about 'your primary reason must be to holiday, not to work etc.' This is still stated somewhere in similar words but is definitely not as obvious as I'm sure it was before. Sounds hopeful tho, think I'll give NZH a call and ask them about July. Cos we are hoping to go in June, so we could lay off for a onth and get even longer.

jongerman is offline Junior Member

I'm no expert, but i've been reading up on the WHV, and my interpretation was that, you can work for the whole 12 months, but just not for any one employer for more than 3 months at a time.

I'm hoping to figure this all out and be on my way to NZ in September.

Jon

Blog Entries

I cant find any reference to the 3 month thing, but here is the whole 9 yards on the subject anyway:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/6648.htm

Under 'Related Topics', also see section WI4.1 The need to meet the requirements of Generic Temporary Entry.
    Taffy

Blog Entries

Just found this though:

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/nzis/...anual/6747.htm

This applies to the USA working holiday scheme and clearly states a maximum of 3 months with 1 employer. I dont know how relevant this is to the UK WHV though.
    Taffy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast