Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Autism

bhilton is offline Junior Member

Default Autism

Hi All,

My wife and I are beginning to look into immigration to NZ.

We have a three year old boy that is autistic. Will that fact keep us from being accepted? What processes are we going to have to go through related to that?

Thanks,

Brad Hilton

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Default Autism

Hi,
    I dont believe Autism is a problem. Main concerns are things like whether you need constant medical treatment for more than 90 days in any year. That seems to be the general understanding in all the medical questions you are answered.

As with all medical conditions though, you are strongly advised to speak with the New Zealand Immigration Service directly, as only they can give you a definite answer.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

wendie is offline Junior Member

Default downs

hi,
    a friend of mine has a downs son, very rarely does he did a doctor.
    from what admin say, can they still apply to move to nz.
    hes a great boy, just looks different and although 21, i guess his mental age is about 14/15. he enjoys life better than the rest of us.
    can they try?

HAY
    HAY is offline Junior Member

Default Autism

My understanding is that the health of a disabled child is not the only factor. It also whether they will impose significant cost on public sevices, such as the education system.

We are trying to get more details on this area, as our son (now 4) also has Autism. He does require a LSA to support him in school, so this could be regarded as a significant cost. Approx ?7,000 a year in UK schools.

Still waiting for reply from Immigration service.

Default Autism

Hi Hay
    Would be really interested to know what response you get from immigration. Our 8 year old has some problems and we have been going down the route of finding out whats causing them, the general consensus of opinion at the moment is that it is an ASD, however we haven't yet had a formal diagnosis and have been told that we don't have to have one. Whether to go for a diagnosis or not is one of the things we will be discussing with the experts on our next visit. I wonder whether given that we are hoping to emigrate to NZ in the not too distant future we would be better not having a diagnosis.....would be interested to hear anyones opinion or advice on this.
    Many thanks
    Sian

saraian is offline Oh Masterful One

Default Autism

Hi Hay

My daughter has dyspraxia, dyslexia and slight autistic traits, the umbrella term is D.A.M.P.

She had LSA support in UK schools but for the last 10 months I have home educated her. If it causes a problem in NZ I will just continue to homeschool causing no impact on the education system and costs.

Just another avenue to consider if all fails.

jamasc is offline Junior Member

Default Autism

we had our medicals this week and the doctor told me that it is more difficult to pass the medical for australia than NZ. We have some friends that have recently passed medicals for australia, both their children have problems, one has aspergers and the other autism.

Good Luck :icon_lol:

Default Autism

Thanks for that, lets hope thats one less thing that we have to worry about.
    cheers
    sian

Glenda is offline All Knowing Deity

Default Autism

[quote:cb9c8b937d="themcclarences"]Hi Hay
    Would be really interested to know what response you get from immigration. Our 8 year old has some problems and we have been going down the route of finding out whats causing them, the general consensus of opinion at the moment is that it is an ASD, however we haven't yet had a formal diagnosis and have been told that we don't have to have one. Whether to go for a diagnosis or not is one of the things we will be discussing with the experts on our next visit. I wonder whether given that we are hoping to emigrate to NZ in the not too distant future we would be better not having a diagnosis.....would be interested to hear anyones opinion or advice on this.
    Many thanks
    Sian[/quote:cb9c8b937d]

I have a 9yo who was having some problems at school. They were of the opinion he has dyspraxia and possibly aspergers. They had applied for a educational psychologist to give a diagnosis ... but the paperwork got lost in the system and the matter had to be left due to our immigration.

There is an increasing tendency in the UK to give kids who are not quite the average a diagnosis and ASD (autistic spectrum disorder) seems to be the common one as it includes ADD, ADHD, TS, and aspergers. Maybe my son does have dyspraxia and aspergers, but they are not in any severe form. (I have another son with a more obvious but again undiagnosed aspergers.) Although there are support groups in NZ I would not hesitate in contacting should it be beneficial for him, I would like him to settle down in a more laidback NZ school and for them to then make a diagnosis. So I would advise you to do the same.

People have always been different and have had different approaches to life and learning ... it does not mean they have a problem. (In fact, there are some with aspergers who feel they are an improvement to a lot of 'norms'.)

Hope that helps a bit.
    ::):
    Glenda
    In NZ since June 2005
    Better to light a candle than to curse the darkness - Chinese proverb

tottefan is offline Senior Member

Default Autism

[quote:25e56c8c04]They were of the opinion he has dyspraxia [/quote:25e56c8c04]

I've been diagnosed as having dyspraxia. I get 25% extra time, rest breaks (every 15 minutes) and also have the chance to use a laptop in exams. Without this, I would not be able to finish my exam papers because I write too slowly and I find holding a pen difficult after writing for long periods.

Unfortunately, it seems that most people think that if you have a learning difficulty then you must be thick. This is not the case - many autistic children are actually quite bright (I know this from experience). Personally, I was labelled as 'thick' from an early age but I still went on to get good A Level grades and study at a top University. I'm hoping to become a Chartered Accountant soon.

The problem is that most people don't seem to understand the nature of learning difficulties. I may be of above average intelligence but I generally find that I have to work twice as hard as everyone else because it takes longer for me to absorb and take in information - but I still get there in the end. I also find physical tasks very hard - PE was a nightmare and I'll, no doubt, find driving lessons pretty tough!

However, I also agree with Glenda. It does seem that a lot of children are categorized as having ASD or dyslexia etc. when in fact it is as a result of the education system or another problem.

Tottefan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast