Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crates/Containers

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Default Crates/Containers

I understand that you can get large containers or smaller ones, wondering where I can find info about the use of one when we move to NZ. Or if you just know the cost of them, are they sent by water or air? Not sure if you get Container Planes like you do ships.
    We're not taking hardly anything, just sentimental stuff and my X-Box I think.

Jell is offline Junior Member

Hi Stevey,

It is my belief that containers travel by sea and you can get a 20 foot or a 40 foot one, then if you have very little stuff you can share one, which also halves the cost, prob best to get a few quotes from different shipping companys but usually for a full 20 ft container I would say about 3-4K.

Hopes this helps,

Jellx

Mucho!

Thanks very much (cardbord boxes with visitors for us) then :icon_biggrin: :icon_eek: icon_exclaim.gif

Midder is offline Member

Hi Steve,

We just had Pickford Allied Shippers in our house today to give us a quote. Basically he came in, asked what we wanted to take and is getting back to us on Monday re cost. Like you we are only taking the bare minimum (and XBox). New Life and all that. Will let you know how much the quote is for on Monday.

Midder

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve,
    We shipped 10 boxes of stuff with Bargate International and it cost us ?200, including collection from the house (we had to collect the stuff from Auckland). The boxes were all roughly 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall, to give you a guide, and contained stuff like our PC's, ornaments, video cassettes etc. Took 4 weeks to arrive via ship and not one single thing was damaged.

We had to pay for MAF and customs clearance after that, which was about NZ$50 in total.

Word from the wise though, customs require a complete list of inventory (although you can put things like 10 x video cassettes, 4 x pictures etc) or they'll send you away!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Oh that sounds cool Taff, thats all we'll have I reckon, altho my virus ridden heap of crap pc is rapidly heading for bin instead of on the great escape.
    Midder that would be really cool if you could let us know how it goes.

Cheers peeps

How d'you get on midder? Any good?

Midder is offline Member

Hey there Stevey,

had to phone Pickfords today to get an answer. To tell you the truth, I'm too embarassed (and still in a state of shock!) to tell you how much they said. Let's just say, I won't be using them and will need to keep shopping around.

Midder

hehe sounds like Taffys post above is pretty relevant to us both then. Or give all your relatives who come and visit you, huge lists to bring with them hehe.

Midder is offline Member

Hi Stevey,

I got in contact with Bargate International. They said that they take about ?140 per Cubic metre. They also sell Hardboard boxes at ?6 +VAT. Decided that we'll use these as they're a lot stronger. They ship to NZ once a week, and it takes approx 38 days for arrival. They collect from your home address. I called them today to ask what sizes the boxes come in. They are: 46x46x46 cm, 46x46x52cm, 46x46x78cm & 46x96x26. We think that 4 of the smallest and 4 of the next size is plenty for the 3 of us. This is still within the 1 cubic metre at ?140 plus the cost of boxes, VAT and insurance. About ?1700 less than quoted by Pickfords!!!

Hope this helps
    Midder :icon_mrgreen:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast