Thread: Any Electricians out there?

Midder is offline Member

Default Any Electricians out there?

Can anybody help, please? My husband is an electrician and we have just been on the EWRB website. He is looking into gaining registration to work as a spark in NZ. He has completed a 4 year apprenticeship and has 12 years experience here in the UK. However, reading through the requirement for registration (which contradicts itself), it looks as though this might not be so easy.

Do you have to get references from every employer, detailing working hours and experiences? Also, we are unsure about applying for a provisional license. Does he have to get a job before he can apply? And if so, how easy is it to get someone to take him onboard pre-registration.

It all seems a bit too complicated. Please somebody heeeeelp!!!!!!!

Cheers, Midder :icon_question:

netchicken is offline Senior Member

Any electricians out there?
    hah hah, you and me both ask that question

my goodness, an electrician is like gold here.
    I am sure whatever you have to do will be easily ammodated by an employer just to get a new body on site quickly.

stan is offline Junior Member

Hi Midder
    I found the ewrb site a bit confusing too but have since had my qualifications/experience approved so its not as tricky as it first seems.
    All I did was to list the types of cables (pvc insulated twin and earth,swa,mineral insulated etc.) and equipment installed (cable tray,trunking,socket outlets different light fittings etc. etc.) any other work such as testing,fault diagnosis blah blah and got my employer to print it up on headed paper, sign it, bingo! I've worked for the same company for the last seven years so the ewrb could easily see I've met the minimum of four years experience without the need for loads of dates and details.
    hope this helps.Any more questions just ask. I could always e-mail you a copy of my letter if you want?

Good luck
    Stan :icon_lol:

Midder is offline Member

Thanks for your reply Stan,

I'll show my other half your posting tonight, and see if he thinks a copy of your letter would help. He has only been with his current employer for a year, but served his apprenticeship and worked for them following qualifying for another 6 years. Surely this would cover the min 4 years experience.

Cheers, Midder