Hi there,

My application for a Skilled-Migrant category Resident Visa was recently approved and I plan on flying over to NZ in the first quarter of 2014. I understand that in order for me to be eligible for a Permanent Resident Visa, I would need to meet at least one of five listed criteria. The criteria that I would most likely meet is to have spent enough time in NZ (i.e. be in NZ as a resident for a total of at least 184 days in each of the two 12-months of the 24 months immediately preceding my PR visa application).

I know that itís probably a silly question but, assuming I successfully meet the requirements to be granted a PR visa, would my wife (who was a non-principal applicant in my application) be automatically granted a PR visa as well or would she also need to meet the same criteria above in order to obtain her PR visa? Iím asking this because I plan on going over to NZ first (my wife will fly there together with me to activate her Resident visa but will return to her job in Malaysia after a brief holiday) in order to find a job as well as a place to stay and Iím worried that my wife may not sufficiently meet the criteria if Iím unable to find a job within my first 6 months in NZ.

Iíve tried looking for the answer on the INZ website and Iíve gone through INZ1176 (Guide for Resident and Former Resident Visa Holders) without any luck. I'm sure my situation is not unique and someone else must've gone through it before so I would be grateful to hear their experience.

Kind Regards,
Stefan