Thread: Best way to bring Girlfriend to NZ ?

naturesway is offline Junior Member

Default Best way to bring Girlfriend to NZ ?

Hi,
    i was until recently considering going to live with my girlfriend so we could have the 12 months relationship evidence required for a partnership visa,

The problem now is i may have an offer of a job that is too good to turn down here in New Zealand, so what are my options to get her out here,

while the income offered is good, i am not really in a position to show that i can sponsor her, i can support her quite comfortably but that initial proof is not so easy.

we have spent some time together but not living together , so can't prove the stable relationship item,

I have read i may be able to get her here on a visitors visa then apply for a work visa from here,

As she is from a poorer country and have read that visa's for visits from such countries are looked at more carefully, what is she going to need in respect of money and medical insurance etc, buying the ticket is easy, i can add money to her account to cover her stay.

if someone could give me some guidance on this matter, would be much appreciated

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi,

Have a look at this to see if it's any help to you. (see below)

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident (I'm only assuming you are either a resident or citizen of NZ)

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made.
    Your partner must:
    be eligible to support your application under our Partnership category within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work visas for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:
    you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    you apply for residence as a partner.

If you read through the links contained in the original link above, it may answer some of your other questions. If not, come back and we'll try to help.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

naturesway is offline Junior Member

Default Thank you Mother bear, a couple of questions

Hi,
    Thank you for your reply, and this makes me a little more at ease,

Just clarify that as i am a New Zealand born citizen with a NZ passport, i can bring my girlfriend to NZ on a 12 month work visa, live with her in a defacto relationship for a year and apply for a partner visa,

I intend to marry her, and if this job comes through then this work visa will make accepting this job much more easy.

Can you tell me which form i will need for this as she is not from one of the typical countries accepted for work visa's or do i have to bring her into NZ on a tourist visa and then apply for the work visa.

Thanks again, she will be happy,