Thread: NZ Visit Visa - Partnership Sponsored.

sandyla is offline Junior Member

Default NZ Visit Visa - Partnership Sponsored.

Hello.

My situation is currently this ;
    I am here living in NZ, my 'partner' is overseas in Los Angeles, We have no evidence of time spent together because we met 18 months ago and formed an online
    relationship (something which is quite common these days I'm sure)

So basically now we are searching for the best possible way to spend enough time together so later on we can qualify for things such as temp work visas, and residency.

Soon I will head over to Los Angeles for 3 months to spend some time with her and gather some evidence that at least shows we are in a relationship.

Now my main question is, if for example after 6 weeks of me being in LA will this be enough time to apply for something as simple as a visit visa under partnership for 12 months?

What are immigration looking for to grant a visit visa under partnership?

And do I have to be in LA at the time of application, or can i be back home when she applies but submit evidence we have of some time together?

The confusing thing for us is this part, they say these are the Minimum requirements under the visit section;

Minimum requirements for recognition of a partnership
    Partnerships will only be recognised if the couple:
    are both 18 years or older (or can provide evidence of
    parental/guardian/other consent if either of you are 16 or
    17 years of age), and
    met before the application is made, and
    are not close relatives. (See Schedule 2 of the Marriage
    Act 1995 or Civil Union Act 2004. These Acts are available on
    the internet at New Zealand Legislation).

then in the application it goes and says this:

Genuine and stable partnership
    The principal applicant (the person applying for the temporary
    visa) and the partner (generally a New Zealand citizen,
    residence class visa holder, or holder of a current student or
    work visa) must be living in a genuine and stable relationship,
    unless the principal applicant is the intended partner applying
    to enter New Zealand for a culturally arranged marriage.

Why do we have to be living together in a genuine and stable relationship just to get a visit visa under partnership?

till is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandyla View Post
    Why do we have to be living together in a genuine and stable relationship just to get a visit visa under partnership?
    That's an interesting question most likely only NZ Immigration may be able to answer.
    Perhaps you find some clues here.
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

The Philippines does have stricter rules than someone wanting to come from a place from the USA, however i'm sure some of these infos can be applied to us.

if you can provide evidence that suitably demonstrates the relationship was entered into with a genuine intent, and has been maintained as a genuine and stable relationship, you may be considered for a visa under the Visitor Visa General category.
    This i'm sure will be the case for us, I guess it's up to how much evidence we put together upon my 3 month stay to convince immigration of our commitment.

However it seems that we at this stage are not even in a partnership, but are just boyfriend / girlfriend under the eyes of immigration as we have never lived together.

We are also considering options that she comes over here first to be a tourist in NZ and see the country and at the same time develop her relationship with me (her NZ boyfriend) so this should also be achievable under a general visit visa and because the USA isnt a "risk" country like say the philippines there isn't as much convincing immigration of her return.

I will also sponsor her trip here as well as her having funds of her own, this will at least also show my dedication to her in some way.

either way we are genuine and both ways should work to get us together i'm sure.

perhaps it will be easier just to bring her here for the duration so we don't have to spend time in each others countries to get the same desired result.

I am presuming if she decides she likes nz she can apply for temp work visas then eventually residency while she is here.

or we can head back to the USA with enough evidence for there immigration so im sorted.
    Last edited by sandyla; 09-04-2012 at 06:10 PM.

One other thing to anyone who may be able to answer:

If my girlfriend says her reason to visit NZ is to see the country as a tourist and spend time with her boyfriend will this put up any red flags?

or would it be simply better to say being a tourist, and having me as a close friend (which should be obvious im close to her if im her sponsor) then while she is in NZ we develop into a partnership, have plenty of evidence and IF we apply for other visas under partnership to keep her here it can simply be put that we became committed to one another and she wants to stay on etc ...

At this stage she may not want to stay on here in NZ, it's just good to have all options open as its a possibility :D

till is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by sandyla View Post
    If my girlfriend says her reason to visit NZ is to see the country as a tourist and spend time with her boyfriend will this put up any red flags?
    Even a General Visitor Visa (i.e. not Partnership) would allow to visit a boyfriend/girlfriend as indicated in the Partnership Profile Diagram.
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Seems the best way to go then.

Apply for general visit visa for 9 months or so, reason for visit spending time with boyfriend, holiday/tourist time in NZ.

then if our circumstances change this will at least give us options to apply for other visas such as temp work visas under partnership and/or residency.

either way we should be able to collect enough evidence of a partnership for whatever country we decide to settle down in together.