Thread: Spouse visa

AcaciaNZ is offline Junior Member

Default Spouse visa

Hi there (again)

What is the general time frame regarding turn around for spouse visa when the spouse (me!) is in NZ already (I returned to NZ (I am an NZ citizen) this year, February)?

The situation is, I am married to a South African, and we have been living in South Africa, as well as Belgium. I returned to NZ for a job here in Rotorua this year, and basically resettling completely: he couldn't afford to leave his job there in Belgium at the beginning of this year, he has three chn in South Africa who live with their mom, so the plan was I come back first with the job, and we save like mad (both in different countries, but both earning), and then he puts in his application in May.

My husband is currently working in Belgium (and is resident there for that work - as I was), and can only begin to apply for his residency via family visa in May (due to work commitments there and of course finances).

So what is the general turn around if the spouse (me!) is already in NZ?

Curious. NZ Immigration said to me on the phone that they have speeded up applications (1 to 3 months). Do they do it any quicker if all paper work of course is in order. We have not been "apart" for long - only since February. Aware that in our application we have to explain why we are currently not together.

Do they ever hurry them up because the spouse is back at "home"?

Thanks! AcaciaNZ

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AcaciaNZ View Post
    Curious. NZ Immigration said to me on the phone that they have speeded up applications (1 to 3 months). Do they do it any quicker if all paper work of course is in order. We have not been "apart" for long - only since February. Aware that in our application we have to explain why we are currently not together.

Do they ever hurry them up because the spouse is back at "home"?
    If the paperwork is in order, it will obviously help the application to move along quicker but how quickly will depend on how busy the branch you are dealing with is at the time. The busier they are, the slower the process could be. I notice from your other post that the application will go through the London branch of INZ. I've tried to get into their page to look at their processing times but it won't open at the moment but it's mentioned in another note about spouse applications for NZ citizens:

Timeframes

If the application meets all lodgement requirements then the application will be lodged and should be allocated to an immigration officer immediately if you are the partner of an expatriate New Zealander (a New Zealander who has been out of the country for at least 2 years apart from short holidays) or within a month of lodgement if your partner is not an expatriate New Zealander.

General processing times for partnership applications lodged in London are between 1-3 months from the date that it is allocated to a visa officer. This does not allow for delays caused by health or character problems or missing relationship evidence.

If your application is approved an initial Resident Visa is granted which allows you to enter New Zealand within 12 months of the date of issue, which means that you will have up to one year to enter New Zealand as a Resident for the first time. If you do not enter New Zealand within that period your Resident Visa will expire. Immigration Officers do not have the power to extend the validity of Resident Visas once they are issued.

Successful applicants for residence are also required to pay a Migrant Levy. The Migrant Levy is used to fund services that help new residents settle successfully in New Zealand.

From here.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.