Thread: Immigration of spouse - query re courier / return courier to NZ House, London

AcaciaNZ is offline Junior Member

Default Immigration of spouse - query re courier / return courier to NZ House, London

Hi there All

I am a NZ citizen married to a South African. We are in another two or so months going to get my husband's application in for immigration to New Zealand - he is currently in Belgium for work purposes and is resident there for work purposes (I was also resident there, but when job came up here in NZ, I made the "returning Kiwi" move: he could not join me at the time due to finances).

When he does his application he as we know, has to apply through NZ House in London, UK (from Belgium).

Our situation is the following (which has created a problem with dealing with DHL slightly).

My husband has to courier his visa application + supporting dox, etc and passport to London but also has to make a request for return of his passport as soon as possible, because end of June he has to go to South Africa to see his children (I am also going, from here in NZ).

He can only submit his application in May due to travel requirements in Europe in the interim, and has to have his passport for that. Then soon after (all going well with SA police clearance timing!), he will courier his dox to London via DHL, but needs to enclose a return courier bag inside it, so they can send back his passport to him quickly for travel end of June . I spoke with immigration NZ regarding whether it is possible to request back a passport once it has been submitted, when there is booked and paid for travel. They confirmed to simply send cover letter and all details of booked travel + return courier bag. That sounds reasonably simple.

What we have struck is that DHL no longer allow for private persons to enclose return courier bags as it is done through "accounts"? Is this so, has any one had any experience? How to deal with sending dox to London, then because of travel requirements, needs to get passport back, and how to get DHL to cover a return courier.

Anyone know the way to deal with enclosing a DHL return courier? It is a bit of a sticky point but guess someone has been here before. The local person to person branch in Belgium closest to where he lives (which is to say honestly, not close) did not speak English. My husband's Dutch is pretty good, but think more to do with person just being exceedingly difficult and saying we cannot do return couriers.

If someone can respond to my query, that would be appreciated!

I have a few other questions also, but will post that separately. Thanks!

AcaciaNZ

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

From things I've read in the past from SA citizens, I would be cautious about how long the SA police take to do the police certificate. I don't know if things have changed but it can take quite a while. It might be a good idea to check with them about how long they take.

Not sure about the courier bags, as we weren't offered that choice by INZ in NZ when I asked if they could courier my husband's passport back to us because he needs it for business trips. All they offered was to send it in the diplomatic bag to their branch in London and they would 'send' it to us. They didn't mention couriering it. Now the passport is being sent to my son in NZ and it's up to him to forward it on to us by courier a.s.a.p. although this will be awkward for him because of his work hours. I don't know if you can find another courier other than DHL who can provide a return service. I have heard along the way that it's actually illegal to send passports via courier to another country and some companies won't accept them. Because of this, we usually tell the company that we are sending documents rather than passports and, so far, it's been OK. Does he have to send his passport in with his application? It could be that he gets his application granted and then INZ ask for his passport to be sent so that may buy him some time to get to SA before he needs to send his passport in.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

AcaciaNZ is offline Junior Member

Default SA police clearance

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    From things I've read in the past from SA citizens, I would be cautious about how long the SA police take to do the police certificate. I don't know if things have changed but it can take quite a while. It might be a good idea to check with them about how long they take.

Not sure about the courier bags, as we weren't offered that choice by INZ in NZ when I asked if they could courier my husband's passport back to us because he needs it for business trips. All they offered was to send it in the diplomatic bag to their branch in London and they would 'send' it to us. They didn't mention couriering it. Now the passport is being sent to my son in NZ and it's up to him to forward it on to us by courier a.s.a.p. although this will be awkward for him because of his work hours. I don't know if you can find another courier other than DHL who can provide a return service. I have heard along the way that it's actually illegal to send passports via courier to another country and some companies won't accept them. Because of this, we usually tell the company that we are sending documents rather than passports and, so far, it's been OK. Does he have to send his passport in with his application? It could be that he gets his application granted and then INZ ask for his passport to be sent so that may buy him some time to get to SA before he needs to send his passport in.
    Hi there Motherbear! Thanks for your quick response. I am going to check again today with NZI and will also contact DHL. We are already familiar with SA Police clearances timing - while living there I got them quite often, so know the ropes - my husband already sorted that out a few weeks ago - thinking way ahead of time. They have improved the timing though ... now only about five weeks to get whereas it used to be at least 8. Thanks again for your support!