Thread: Medical assesors

valentino101 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Medical assesors

Hi my name is Nicole, we had applied for residency two years ago, we were approved about a year ago but because I had informed them that I was due to give birth,they sent another letter to me saying that the residency would be granted on the basis of obtaing all relavant documentation for my daughter who was born here in NZ. So I had to go through the process of obtaing birth certificated and passport for her from South Africa, which took sometime. On finally obtaing these I had to do medicals for her. My daughter was was born with an acute encaphlocele at the back of her head, which was very small compared to how big they made it sound. This was surgicaly removed two days later, all went well, there found to be no brain tisue inside the sac. A week later she developed hydrochales which she had a shunt put in, this too went well and continues to do so . It's been an exuasting period of our lives waiting for our PR to now come through. When the doctors discovered the enchalocele, I was asked to terminate my pregnancy, but refuseed to do so, because I knew that there was nothing wrong with her, God has blessed us with a beautifull and intelligent little soul. My daughter has turned a year old now and we are still waiting a response from the Medical Assessors. All request made from them for doctors letters and referals have been sent. I do know that imnz do take medical conditions serious, but reports have come back from the doctors showing that there is nothing wrong with her and people with shunt are only needed to have revision once a lifetime. So please could you help me in how much longer the process is and what my next steps should be.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

How long has it been since you submitted the last documents for your daughter's medical? If everything is OK with INZ it could be that they may continue with your application without coming back to you. If they needed further tests etc. I would think they would come back to you quite quickly. It can take some time for these things to finalise but, if you are worried, you can always contact INZ to ask for a status update, especially if it has been several months now. I don't think the Medical Assessor would contact you directly - I think it would come from INZ if anything else was needed.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    How long has it been since you submitted the last documents for your daughter's medical? If everything is OK with INZ it could be that they may continue with your application without coming back to you. If they needed further tests etc. I would think they would come back to you quite quickly. It can take some time for these things to finalise but, if you are worried, you can always contact INZ to ask for a status update, especially if it has been several months now. I don't think the Medical Assessor would contact you directly - I think it would come from INZ if anything else was needed.
    Hi , Our last document was sent in September 2011, I got an email from our case officer saying that she has not got the medical back from the medical assessors, so to wait until Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Hi mother bear,
    I got an email from our case officer yesterday with regards to the medical. She said that Wellington has posted it but not sure when she will recieve it. I asked if there was a way that she could find out but said that she has to transcribe what foot notes the medical assessors have put down. Her response to all this was she hopes to make a decision before our work permitts expire and if it was not possible, we would have to apply for them as well as a visitors visa for my baby as she is still unlawfull her in NZ. What should we now do? As this would be our secound work permitts being done as when the previous ones were done , she said that our residency would be through. At the moment I really do not know what to do? It seems as though they look at us as just being a piece of paper. Do they not realise that that piece of paper they hold someones future . To me it just feels so cruel. I know it was my decision to have my baby, but feel that I have made the rest of my family suffer. They too need closure so that they can start enjoying life and not living in uncertainty.

Default Medical Assessors

Just got latest email from case officer, said that she got the medical back from assessors, report not good. The medical is not ASH after being looked at by two medical advisors. I have no idea what that means. What would be my next step? At the moment I feel so dispondent , I just want to cry... Help me please.......

Blog Entries

ASH means 'acceptable standard of health' so I assume what INZ is saying is that, unfortunately, your baby doesn't have this, so it's not good news. You could possibly apply for a medical waiver but, not being in the medical profession, I have no idea of your chances of winning this. You may need some documentation from your baby's doctors regarding her future prognosis to back up your application for a waiver. I don't know if enlisting the help of an immigration consultant would be of any help at this late stage or not as they should be used to dealing with the more difficult circumstances. Sadly, a forum such as this is not qualified to help beyond suggesting things you could try.

This tells you a little about the medical examination procedure.
    Mother Bear

Default Medical Waiver

Hi mother bear!

Our case officer asked us to provide a letter as to why my daughter should be granted a medical waiver. This I will submitt, but my question I raised to her was that all the medical advisors as well as her Doctor can not give me a definate answer as to when she might need a revision with regards to her shunt implant. In saying this we all do not know when our own health should become affected. We all live for today. God has blessed us with an amazing daughter, who continues to grow beautifull and meeting all her milestones. So how can she not be granted residency on the basis that MAYBE oneday something will go wrong. I also have to apply for a visitors visa with regards to my baby being illegal in NZ, although she was born here. We have been in this country for over four years now, I fell pregnant after we submitted our residency applications ans were approved before I gave birth. After informing them within that week of us being approved , was then told that it would be subject to obtaing all the nec docs for my baby. I do understand the policies regarding any medical conditions, but it was not my intentions to fall pregnant, its not like we came into the country pregnant. I will submitt this week the letter and wait for an answer.

In mixed feelings at the moment, so now I know why people have struggled with INZ.

Blog Entries

Good luck with it all. I hope you have a good outcome. It is very difficult for INZ to make their decision, the same as it is for you not knowing what they will decide, when none of us know what will happen in the future.
    Mother Bear