Thread: UK Kindle in NZ

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default UK Kindle in NZ

I am an avid book reader and when we lived in NZ before we were disappointed at the high cost of books compared to the UK. We did discover The Book Depository who shipped books to NZ freely but cost more than the UK but much less then NZ. We are planning on coming back in the next few years and wondered if we were to buy a kindle in UK would it be compatible in NZ and what is the cost of downloading books in NZ compared to the UK?

I am old fashioned and prefer a proper book - the feel & the smell - but I would compromise and have a kindle if it meant I could still get reasonably priced books.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I would imagine downloads from the Internet would be international and should work in NZ. As such, I guess the cost would be the same but I haven't put this to the test myself yet. However, as an avid book reader myself, I would suggest you try researching libraries where you're heading. While we were in Hamilton for several months, we were very impressed with the library system there. We could take out 11 books each time (can't remember if that was each or combined on a family basis but it was plenty). There were 3 libraries in the city and we were allowed to visit any of them so we had the option to make use of other book selections. That was run by Hamilton City Council but it's possible other city councils will operate a similar system. And it was all for FREE .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

I used to use libraries a lot when I was younger. I just love the feel of books and I like owning them - does that make me sad or selfish? I will try the libraries but when we were in NZ before Jenni searched for a Harry Potter book in all the libraries in Rangiora, Kaipoi and some suburbs of Chch and couldn't get any of them. So not sure if they will have the most recent books or just not enough of them!!

kiwiguy is offline Member

Both my wife and me Have a Kindle but we have the international version I have 3g she has wifi only with the 3g you can download on the 3g amazon only books for no data charge but honestly you only need the wifi only version .

There are some books that I can't purchase on amzon and that seems to be due to the publishers restrictions they may stop you form buying the US version of a book and instead you have to by UK version etc .

But there are plenty of other places to get books on the Internet some costing very little to nothing and I also heard libraries are soon going to offer ebook lending here

Blog Entries

So if you buy a UK kindle you can buy books from anywhere to download or only from the UK Amazon site?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickydwuk View Post
    I used to use libraries a lot when I was younger. I just love the feel of books and I like owning them - does that make me sad or selfish? !!
    I prefer a real book and, although I'm only just about to venture into the world of book readers, we've owned one for quite a while. Hubster got me one for my birthday that I didn't really want because I've resisted them as I'm the same as you, Nicky. I love libraries because of the almost continuous supply of different books and subjects and, of course, getting to read them for free. I only tend to read reference books more than once so buying isn't as attractive to me. Lugging a load of books around the world isn't the best thing to do in our case, but I have kept some of the best ones with me in case we have guests who like to read. I've just about exhausted daughter-in-law's large supply of paperbacks and am now finally about to delve into the book reader which has just been loaded up with books by my son, so we'll see if I become converted. One thing I will appreciate though is that I can adjust the text size for easier reading as the old eyesight isn't quite what it was.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    One thing I will appreciate though is that I can adjust the text size for easier reading as the old eyesight isn't quite what it was.
    I can identify with that. Having just entered the realms of having separate glasses for reading I know my vision will get worse. Anything that will help me to keep up with my favourite books is a bonus.