Thread: Wanting To Be With My Partner.

1001 is offline Junior Member

Default Wanting To Be With My Partner.

Hello to anyone reading this thread, I am here to seek some advice on a few things. As it says in the title I would like to bring my girlfriend to NZ.
    I am facing some troubles on the best way to achieve this as its a little confusing to be honest.

First fact would be that we have never lived together, or have evidence of any relationship (except for the usual cards we have been sending to each other over the last 6 months)

These are the 2 possible ways I have thought of to gain some time with my girl to provide enough evidence we are in a relationship:

option 1:

Looking at tourist visas she could apply for up to 9 months and come here as a "tourist" yet I have been told that any information she declares has to be in good faith and true, as in if she says her reason to visit is to come to NZ for sight seeing and visiting friends this could lead to troubles later when we apply for a temp work visa under partnership as she never disclosed her reason for visiting was to spend time with me her partner.

Can anyone confirm this? and what would be the best way around this? I am thinking she should say her reason for visit is to see the country and holiday with her partner who is currently in NZ? this should declare her as a visitor still right?

If this way works, then obviously it will give us the time together and we can apply for a 12 month work visa for a relationship less than a year.

Option 2:

I leave NZ and fly over to her, stay with her for 2-3 months, put together as much evidence as we can of our time together. I will come back to NZ and she can apply for a visitors visa as my PARTNER I believe?

Will 2 months of putting evidence together be enough to get her this kind of visa?

P.S I cant find the link for what's required for visitors visa as partner so if anyone can provide that link it will be appreciated.

I was also thinking about apply for a temp work visa while I was over with her but thats more complicated I think as my stay will only be for 3 months in Los Angeles, and putting together evidence and living together while applying wont give nowhere near enough time.

UGH this is so fustrating, so much complications to be with a partner, but im sure there is a way. and I think this place is a good help.

thanks in advance to anyone who replies

cheers
    Last edited by 1001; 09-10-2011 at 11:57 AM.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Ironalice is going through the same thing and it's not such an easy decision to make as to which way to do it. I'm sure it's been done both ways without a problem. INZ have revamped their website and some of their policies in the last few months and, on briefly reading through some of these documents, it does seem a lot more complicated than it was previously, just to have a partner visit. It would appear to be a lot easier to enter NZ as a normal visitor and apply for an extension of the visit visa when necessary. In here it says you need to be living together in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application for a work permit is made. It doesn't state that you need to have been living together for 12+ months, as is required in other partnership applications, just that you need to prove you are building a new life together e.g. joint bank a/c, joining clubs and activities together and any other ways you can find to show you are a genuine couple. These examples are only ideas, not necessarily suggestions.

This is the main visit visa guide and this is the one for sponsoring a temporary visa. This is the [url=http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/0B483D64-261E-42F9-A023-B3C5F00D10D1/0/INZ1146.pdf] Form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications].
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the initial reply.
    We will try to first off apply for a 9 month visit visa and honestly state the reason for her stay will be still as a tourist, but she intends to travel and spend time with her NZ partner while she is here.

I mean can there be any reason of denying this? the traveling will give us time to obviously prove we are a genuine couple that like doing things together, it could also mean this is just a HOLIDAY and as far as they know I could go back to LA with her and do the same there before we both take the time to decide which country we will settle down in, so I hope that plan A works for us there.

plan B and my real question now would be if i flew to LA to live with her for 2 months, put together a good amount of evidence then applied for a temp work visa under partnership over there will this be enough time? it means we will still be living together as I will have another 4 weeks of my 3 month visit visa left.

could be a good plan also, even if the visa doesn't come through in a month I can fly back and she can join me when it comes through , I guess the loop hole is in saying "must be living together at the TIME of application" where does it say right up until it's approved?

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post

This is the main visit visa guide and this is the one for sponsoring a temporary visa. This is the [url=http://www.immigration.govt.nz/NR/rdonlyres/0B483D64-261E-42F9-A023-B3C5F00D10D1/0/INZ1146.pdf] Form for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications].

hey motherbear.
    looking at that main visa guide I noticed this:

what a visitor visa allows:

"enter new zealand to get married"

that is interesting, you would think if they will allow you to enter as a tourist to get married they also would to holiday, visit, spend time with your NZ partner surely.

I mean I would consider being a tourist with the purpose to marry just as "high risk" to over stay as any other excuse.

I guess it would also allow you up to 9 months to plan and get married and then apply for a temp work visa if she wished to stay. Just as her checking out NZ with me on holiday and wanting to stay here with me.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1001 View Post
    hey motherbear.
    looking at that main visa guide I noticed this:

what a visitor visa allows:

"enter new zealand to get married"

that is interesting, you would think if they will allow you to enter as a tourist to get married they also would to holiday, visit, spend time with your NZ partner surely.

I mean I would consider being a tourist with the purpose to marry just as "high risk" to over stay as any other excuse.
    My guess is that INZ consider that, if a couple is about to get married (and they would probably want proof of this in some form) they are already committed to the relationship. As I see it, this is different to a couple who haven't known each other that long or haven't lived together yet and haven't yet committed themselves to marriage plans. There is more room for doubt about whether the relationship will continue to marriage. Some fall by the wayside once a couple starts living together full time which is quite different to just dating. From INZ's point of view, a partner visiting his/her fiance(e) with a view to marrying him/her has a long term plan to settle legally in NZ with that partner, whereas someone whose relationship hasn't progressed enough to qualify for a long term visa might want to stay on illegally in NZ with the partner because, at the time, there is no way of getting a long term visa to stay. It has to be said that some unscrupulous people use a NZ partner as a means of getting into the country, after which they dump the relationship and disappear. This may explain why INZ tries to be so careful regarding the validity of relationships.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.