Thread: Mother's health

theade is offline Junior Member

Default Mother's health

Hello all

I'm not sure if anyone here will know the answer to our problems, but it's worth a shot.

We got our work visa a while ago. With the visa we were told that we could apply for residency provided we spend 6 months proceeding the end of the two year period after the visa starts. We started the visa by entering the country a couple of months ago and our intention is/was to move out permanently April 2012.

We just had some bad news about my partner's mother. Her kidneys have deteriorated quite badly and there's a chance that she'll need to start dialysis at some point in the next couple of years. Our plan was to move her out to NZ to live with us at some point in the future (my partner is an only child), but we had no idea that we might have to consider doing this so soon.

Does anyone know what our options would be if my partner's mother needs dialysis while we are in NZ, both before we'd got our permanent residency, and once we'd got it? I'm assuming we'd have to pay for any treatment she would have to undergo in both cases? But would her health stop her being able to stay in NZ with us, even if we could pay for her treatment?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Theade

Quote Originally Posted by theade View Post
    But would her health stop her being able to stay in NZ with us, even if we could pay for her treatment?
    I just realised that this made it look like we'd still move to NZ even if she couldn't come with us due to health - we wouldn't, of course...

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Hi Theade

I just checked INZ for you and I although there are several loopholes in terms of the time your mother could stay. I keep going back to the 'good health' requirement of almost any visa. And although it say's "Generally, we will not approve the entry of people to New Zealand if they have:

•active pulmonary tuberculosis (TB)
    •a relatively high probability of needing publicly funded health services during their stay in New Zealand, including, but not limited to:
    ◦hospitalisation
    ◦residential care*
    ◦high-cost pharmaceuticals
    ◦high-cost disability services "

Now I know you've said that it would not be 'publicly funded' but one of the first examples below that is.....
    "Example

A person who requires dialysis treatment is likely to have their application to sudy, work, or visit in New Zealand declined."

For this reason, I'd say your chances are slim. Although the 'is likely' bit always can provide hope, but you'd probably have to prove you had mega bucks.

Therefore, I can only conclude that you try calling INZ and establishing if it would be possible, by proving your mother would definitely NOT need funding by NZ at any stage, to grant a visa. A massive ask, and they may well require megabucks. Got to be worth the question though.

I'm really sorry, I know that's totally not the answer you wanted to see but I can't see past the 'good health' requirements of almost every visa.

The only other thought I had was... How much is Dialysis in NZ? A quick google and $750 for 4 hours is the only immediate referenc I could find.
    I know nothing about the treatment and it's an extreme solution. But at those prices it may be cheaper to go back and visit your mother, regularly.

Really sorry I couldn't be more encouraging.

Hey, thanks ever so much for your detailed reply. Yeah, this is pretty much what we were expecting. Well, the timing is a blow, but we have to think of her health over our happiness. Seriously, thanks for helping us out. We'll have to work out our options.

Theade

SteveyC is offline Right Royal Pain In The Posterior

Well stick with it but the only thing I would say is, it's looked less favourably upon the older you are so unfortunately it's not as straightforward as 'leave it til late' sucks I know, but I'd hate to think someone sacrifices a lifelong dream - permanently - and lives to regret it later in life. Mum would probably agree too :-(
    Hope you find a solution, or alternative in the end.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I don't know which country you are from and this probably won't be much help, especially if your mother-in-law isn't up to travelling long distances but, if she is from the UK, she would be entitled to stay 6 months at a time in NZ on a visit visa if there was no way of getting her there long term. Unfortunately, it would probably only be a short term answer and would depend a lot on whether she would be up to making the long flight to NZ and back every 6 months. It's one way of having her with you for half the year until she needs more intensive treatment which might prevent her travelling. Just clutching at straws but it might give you enough time to do the '6 months in NZ for each of the first 2 years' thing so you could qualify for your permanent residency. That would mean you could go in and out of NZ whenever you wanted to and might allow you to return to your own country to be with your m-i-l without harming your residency.

I would also mention that I don't think you could sponsor her for residency in NZ anyway for at least 3 years after you have got your residency.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.