Thread: Work Permit/Temporary Entry Visa

striped is offline Junior Member

Default Work Permit/Temporary Entry Visa

Hello there,

I currently hold a work permit & work visa - due to expire end of August 2011.

I have applied for Residency under the partnership category - application is currently pending a case manager to be assigned. I am told the application may take between 12 & 15 months to process & I must keep a valid work permit for the duration.

I am all set to put in another work permit application under the partneship category as I did the 1st time. However a letter I received from immigration saying my residency application has been accepted for processing states;
    "you must ensure that you stay on a valid temporary entry visa".

Is this something different to a work permit application?

Also, for the new work permit application - although they will accept the current medicals/police certs etc. that are currently being held for the Residency application I have been told I must re-submit the evidence that I am in a stable relationship - I have copies of some of it but most of it is with immigration already. Can I ask them to use the evidence that is already on file (it was only sent at the end of April) or would it be more prudent to gather the evidence again?

Thanks.
    Last edited by striped; 31-05-2011 at 10:17 PM. Reason: Sorry I put this on the wrong board(!)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

INZ just want to make sure that your stay in NZ is always covered by some form of temporary visa e.g. visit visa or work visa. You can apply to extend your work visa but, with the fairly recent updating of the Immigration Act, there is now something called an Interim Visa which is intended for use by people who are waiting for the results of visa applications, such as residency, to come through. If there's a problem getting another work visa, this is what happens.

If the application for a further temporary visa is declined, can the person still apply for another visa - for example, a different type, or different employer/education provider? If so, could the applicant get another interim visa?

A person must be in New Zealand lawfully to apply for a temporary visa. If they are in New Zealand lawfully and lodge another application, they may be granted an interim visa if their current visa expires while that application is being processed. If they are not in New Zealand lawfully then they can not apply for another visa and can, therefore, not be granted another interim visa.

From here.

You could also have a read through this.

Regarding evidence for your relationship, I would imagine that you could use the same evidence as previously, pointing out to INZ that they are still holding some of that evidence. If a decent length of time has elapsed since your other evidence went in and you have anything more recent to add to it (thereby showing that the relationship is still going strong), then you could submit that as well. You shouldn't need much, just something to show things are continuing to tick along nicely in the relationship department .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Interim Visa

Thank you Motherbear - that was most helpful.

It seems I could be elegible for an Interim Visa. I assume this is granted by a case manager? However since I have not yet been assigned one (aparently my Residency application has now been sent to a case allocation officer) how on earth do I request an interim visa?

I don't know how long it will take to be allocated a case manager and I could run into timeframe difficulties if they end up declining an interim visa. How long should I wait? Or could I contact my previous case manager who issued the original work visa?

My worry is that If I am to apply for a new work visa application I really need to get onto it this month as my current work visa expires 28th of August.

Is there anyone out there who has had an interim visa granted & could advise how it went?

Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I guess contacting anyone in the INZ branch where your application is being dealt with would be OK. As long as you have the case number etc. they should be able to tie it up with your query. It can take quite a while sometimes to have a case officer allocated so you need to approach INZ a.s.a.p. and find out what the best way to deal with the situation is.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default Temporary Entry Visa

Thank you Motherbear your help is much appreciated.

Hope you're keeping well. I am still loving it here.

Fingers crossed my residency goes through.