Thread: Visiting NZ soon

Katelyn is offline Junior Member

Question Visiting NZ soon

Hi, I met this wonderful guy online a few months ago who lives in Wellington. Our goalisfor me and my girls to go there and Apply for a partnership visa, But in order to do it, we have to live together for 12 months and a visitor visa only last for 9mo. Can anyone help me understand how to get the 12mo? is there a extension we could apply for? Also I'm from Boise ID,USA. I have two girls ages 1 and 4
    Last edited by Katelyn; 05-04-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Katelyn is offline Junior Member

Also, We have already met in person, he was here for two weeks, March 16th-30th

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Katelyn,

The Partnership Work Visa doesn't require the same 12 months of living together as Residency does. It requires you be living together at the time of application, and evidence that the relationship is genuine and stable. This work visa will get you over the 12 month requirement so you can go on to apply for residency.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Geoff is offline Junior Member

Thank you Taffy. The Partnership Work Visa fills in the missing link we've been puzzling over. I guess the pathway for us looks something like:

1) Katie and her children come to live with me in NZ on a Visitor Visa
    2) While living with me for some time in NZ, Katie applies for the Partnership Work Visa
    3) After 12 months of living together Katie applies for Residency

I wish the Immigration NZ site would have made that clear; I imagine it’s pretty common these days for NZ citizens to meet a partner overseas and then want to bring them into the country. I know for myself that I'm going a bit crazy over not being able to be together with Katie after our wonderful 2 weeks in USA last month.

Well we're trying to work out how we can be together as soon as possible. USA has a well-defined process via their K1 (Fiancée) Visa, but I have a steady job in NZ and own a house so I'd prefer for Katie to come here (although I will relocate to USA if I have to). Katie has 2 young girls (1 and 4 years), no savings, no job, no passport and is currently married.

How much harder could it be?

Right now she's working on getting her divorce (they have been living apart for over 2 years). Her husband is cooperative some of the time, but he's in no hurry and can be rather unhelpful when he wants to be.

Once the divorce is finalised (perhaps in May?) Katie should have sole custody of the kids with no visiting rights, which will allow her to get US passports for them. She may also be able to get her husband to sign a form giving his consent for the girls to be taken out of USA (but I'm not counting on it, and not sure that we need it once she has sole custody).

Once Katie has her divorce and passports for her and the girls we need to work out how to get them all over here. Since she's from USA she could come for 3 months on a Visa-Waiver and then apply to stay longer when she is here. But I think the immigration officer is going to want to see some evidence that she can support herself while she's here, which she really can't (yes I'm footing the bill for all of this).

So I think we need to apply for a 9 month Visitor Visa while Katie is still in USA? I think we'll need to fill out:

Visitor Visa Application (INZ 1017)
    Sponsorship for Temporary Entry (INZ 1025)
    Form for Partners Supporting Partnership-Based Temporary Entry Applications (INZ 1146)
    Temporary Entry X-ray Certificate (INZ 1096)

I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it? Should we apply as partners or just say I'm sponsoring her as a friend? Will Immigration NZ be worried if we say she's intending to stay permanently - I guess we have to pretend she's just coming for a visit to get the Visitor Visa? I'm not sure about buying her a return ticket - we have no intention for Katie to leave NZ - do I have to buy her a ticket out of NZ just to keep immigration happy?

So that's our story, we'd really appreciate any comments or answers you might have. And we'd love to hear about other couples who have been through all this. Thanks for reading!

Geoff.

PS: An immigration advisor quoted me $2K to get Katie and her girls over here on a Visitor Visa and a further $10K to get them to the Permanent Resident stage. This seems rather expensive, we're both intelligent people and I think we can fill out forms properly. Still, I do wonder if it would be worth paying them just to make sure it goes right? What do you guys think?

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi Geoff,

I can't really say which route is best for you to take (it's specific immigration advice so requires being licensed!). You can certainly sponsor a partners visitors visa if you meet the requirements, I don't think you can sponsor as a friend.

If you want to use an adviser, I think you need to find a cheaper one!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

Cool

Geoff

You seem to be pretty switched on. I would say do it yourself. Just make sure you get a good case worker an INZ. They can be of great help. Just never lie to INZ which means never get on the naughty list as you never get off it.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."