Thread: Find a job and then move?

Ivan is offline Junior Member

Default Find a job and then move?

Hi,

My wife and I are considering immigrating to New Zealand and we are looking for the skilled migrant category.

We are both professional engineers in the mechanical sector for for oil&gas/petrochemical/power field.

We want to find a job (at least I must find a job) while still living in Europe, and we have some questions about our idea. If you can give us some tips would be appreciated....

How can I find a qualified job in New Zealand from Europe?
    My Idea is now to send our CV to all the NZ recruitment agencies for engineering jobs, this is not much and I want to do more.

Do you think it is possible/easy to find a job from Europe? How? Any suggestion?
    I've searched a little in the forum, but found nothing.

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

Thank you

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Welcome Ivan.

Regarding a job in the oil and gas sector, my husband has had recent dealings with these people. Try emailing stella.cronshey@inspirec.com . We're in Europe at the moment and she was happy to deal with him. Also you could look on SEEK or Trade Me which are very popular for job hunters. It has to be said that it is easier to land a job when you're already in NZ as kiwi employers like a face to face with someone who is committed enough to have made the trip down there but, having said that, it's not impossible to get something whilst still overseas.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

thedans is offline Member

Hello Ivan,

My wife and I are wanting to move it NZ as well, but we are from the US. I am in the process of filling out our EOI (waiting for the kids passports). I am a Mechanical Engineer as well, although not a professional(not yet at least, i take my test in a few weeks).

Anyway the point of this is, from what I have seen in looking for jobs, is like what Motherbear said. 99% of the time in the job postings they say in order to apply for the job, you must be qualified to work and/or live there. That is not to say it can't be done, as i have only been looking for a month or so, and I have seen some that say International applications are welcomed.

I would say your best bet is to start filling out your EOI if you are really serious about the move.

Also if you find a Job, maybe you could put in a good word for me!

Ivan is offline Junior Member

Hi,

thank you for your answers.

thedans, good luck with your test!
    Did you apply for some openings? You will first transfer and then look for work there?

MotherBear, I left you a private message.

thedans is offline Member

So far, I have applied for about 5 jobs, that fit my description pretty well ( a few were stretching a little, but still matched). I got turned down on every one, pretty much right away.. however they were all looking for someone with the right to work in NZ already.

So rather than get discouraged, I am waiting to apply to any positions again until we get accepted (hopefully)! We are still waiting to put in our EOI as we had to apply for passports for our kids, and they take about a month to get here.

So the plan is to start looking once we get accepted, since I believe you have one year to activate your visa after acceptance. If it starts getting close to the year mark and I still don't have a job, then I will be traveling over alone to find work and get a place set up, and then my family will follow.

However, I am still new in my career, ~2-1/2 years experience. Someone with more experience and being a PE, you would probably have an easier time getting something out of the country than me (just speculating here). Also check to see that your PE transfers over, as im sure it does. If I get mine here in US it will transfer over to the Professional Member (MIPENZ) without any further qualifications. You can check here for yours if you would like.

http://www.ipenz.org.nz/ipenz/forms/...isdictions.pdf

I am still figuring all of this out myself, so take it with a grain of salt!