Thread: Carrying criminal record back to the UK

emma_jane is offline Junior Member

Default Carrying criminal record back to the UK

Hi everyone
    Iv been looking everywhere trying to find an answer for this but im stumped!

My partner moved back to the UK from NZ in July 2010, while over there he was using his UK driving licence, shorty before moving back he got banned from driving for drink driving, 'loss of traction', speeding and ABH, this was all while he was in NZ and like i say he has come back to the uk now.

Does anyone know if his licence and record that he got in NZ will be carried over to the UK?

Any help would be great!

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Hi,

New Zealand doesn't have the authority to put driving convictions on a UK issued drivers license. However, that doesn't mean that this conviction doesn't exist. It will be recorded in New Zealand, and can be requested by UK courts if they so require. Also, failing to disclose this information to an insurance company will invalidate your insurance. Should he be in an accident, or whatever, and need to claim, if the insurance company chooses to do an investigation then he could also face charges of insurance fraud.

So, in short, no it doesn't technically follow you as far as the license goes, but it does still matter.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

emma_jane is offline Junior Member

Thanks Taffy, that makes me worry!
    As he is a named driver on my insurance policy, so it would my insurance invalid? or just his part? i.e if he had a crash in my car

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

If the conviction isn't declared then in the event of him having an accident then yes, it could invalidate the policy. It's certainly a long shot as it would involve the insurance company investigating any claim, and knowing to check New Zealand, but there's obviously an element of risk involved and insurance companies are armed to the teeth to prevent losing money! I'd certainly take advice on the matter (maybe from Citizens Advice Bureau) as usual insurance declarations involve disclosing ANY convictions, not specifically within the same country. If it was a fixed penalty speeding fine or something, then I wouldn't bother about it as it wouldn't appear on an official Police record, but as he would have gone to court for it, then it will show up.

Definitely take proper advice though, I'm going on my knowledge of immigration matters and how these things can affect applications when not declared, and the information comes up in a background check!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.