Thread: residence -permanenr residency

tortola is offline Junior Member

Smile residence -permanenr residency

Can someone please help me with the confusion? I am aaplying for residence under pratnership. It is nearly done, the INZ officer said he should finalise my application next week. I was planning to apply for the Police but now I just realised that I might not be eligible. Can someone please help me with explaining the diffrence. the official police recruting website says this:
    "If you want to join NZ Police, you must first have New Zealand citizenship or permanent residency in New Zealand. Immigration New Zealand will help you with the immigration process. NZ Police are not able to directly assist with the immigration process."

Will I be able to apply or not? I`m confused. I assumed you get Permanent Residency straight away. If not, what steps I need to take to become a "Permanent Resident"??? Does this apply to studying aswell? You need to be a Permanent Resident to pay domestic studet fees?
    Thank you

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

INZ has changed its wording on some of the policies not. Previously you would be granted permanent residency and then, after 2 years where you stayed in NZ for at least 6 months in each of the first 2 years, you would get an Indefinite Returning Residents Visa. That was the end of the process.

Now, you firstly get a residents visa and then undergo the same 6 months in NZ for the first 2 years as before, but after that you now get permanent residency. It's the same procedure really, but the names have changed a bit, that's all. Perhaps this will help explain it a bit more.

I think you would need a long term visa to be able to apply for domestic student fees.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

tortola is offline Junior Member

Default thanks

I will call Immigration anyway and check. Thank you very much Mother Bear. I was so focused on getting my residence that I didn`t realise there is a diffrence. I will post the Immigration answer later. Thank you again