Thread: Possibility?

xeys_00 is offline Junior Member

Default Possibility?

Is it possible to just get all the documents you have, transcripts, and any other document(birth certificate, etc), and just go to new zealand and work everything out while you are there? I'm a food service manager and have 3 years salaried experience doing this. Would I get booted out? I was thinking I could get a prep cook position or something while going thru the process.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

While it's possible and has certainly been done before, you need to be 100% sure that you are eligible under which ever category you are applying, else it could go horribly wrong!
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

hoping2win is offline Junior Member

you didn't say if you were coming on your own? Certainly you could come as a visitor (again length of permit depends on family and age) and maybe if you are single meet a nice kiwi girl then apply for residency on a partnership basis.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

It would be easier and less risky if you were going to NZ alone because there wouldn't be the same worry about uprooting kids who are in school and wife/partner who may have a job. There would only be yourself to look after which means less upheaval.

If you intend looking for work while you're there, you would not be allowed to work without a valid work visa. It can depend on the type of work you're doing, and whether a kiwi can be found to do the same job, before a work visa is granted. Going to NZ and applying from there would be a great risk but, if you always bear in mind that it may not work out the way you had hoped, at least you would have had an experience. And I believe it is cheaper to submit an application in NZ although it can take longer due to volume of applicants.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

xeys_00 is offline Junior Member

Default Well, my progress so far

I have applied for my passport, and once I get that, I guess I start trying to find something in my field. Ideally, work in a hospital in the kitchen, as institutional food service management is what I do.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Are the skills you have on the short or long term needs lists (and they can be found on the immigration website)? See, you can't just decide you want to move somewhere in the world and expect to get a job and settle in. You have to be wanted and needed in another country.

I applied for permanent residence after I was already in New Zealand. That being said, I came here sponsored by my kiwi partner and had a work permit when I got here. You had better look at the immigration website (again) to see what documents you will need. You will have to have a police report (which will be valid for 6 months) and a complete medical exam including chest x-ray which is only good for 3 months. My advice would be to submit everything while you are living and working elsewhere. I don't know if you caught what MB said - but you CANNOT work in New Zealand without a work permit, so you would be much better off to make sure you have that before you decide to come here. Or have plenty of money. And I mean plenty as you won't have the ability to work any sort of job, even for minimum wage, until all your immigration paperwork is sorted out, and that can take months. Sounds like you need to do a LOT of reading on the New Zealand Immigration website.Good luck!
    Last edited by 1happywoman; 24-02-2011 at 09:59 PM. Reason: incorrect link
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hoping2win View Post
    .... and maybe if you are single meet a nice kiwi girl then apply for residency on a partnership basis.
    I'd better pick up on this before you get any ideas, as INZ would frown on someone who, in their view, hooked up with a partner just to have a way into NZ. They would expect you to provide proper evidence of a 'stable and genuine' relationship before they would entertain this sort of application.

And, as 1HW says, you need to be careful what type of job you look for because only a job in that industry at managment level might be acceptable. It would, as she says, be a good idea if you searched through the list of acceptable job skills on the INZ website before deciding to apply for work. If your chosen job isn't on there, you wouldn't be able to apply unless a kiwi can't be found to do the job.
    Mother Bear

Cliff is offline Oh Masterful One
    Blog Entries

You said "I was thinking I could get a prep cook position or something while going thru the process. " No you won't without a work permit for that job. If you did get a job without a work permit you would be jeopardizing your Permanent residency permit.
    Cheers

Cliff

Nelson, New Zealand
    NZ Citizenship in 2000, been in NZ 15 years now
    Arrived NZ in 1997 from Las Vegas, Nevada, USA

"New Zealand isn't just a physical place it is a state of mind."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff View Post
    You said "I was thinking I could get a prep cook position or something while going thru the process". No you won't without a work permit for that job.
    I doubt a work visa would be granted for that type of job, unless a kiwi couldn't be found to do the same job.
    Mother Bear