Thread: I'm going to be a citizen!!!

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Default I'm going to be a citizen!!!

Hey guys,

Long time no see.

I just wanted to drop in and say hello, and let you know that I'm becoming a citizen on 6 December. If anyone is in the Wellington area and would be keen to come along to my citizenship party on the 11th, send me a PM.

I also wanted to say thanks for the sense of community amongst us travellers. It's a huge help when other things can be so uncertain. It's a shame that once we get settled, we kind of forget about the site. I do remember. But I am not nearly active online as I once was.

I refer people to the website all the time. It's definitely a good thing to have around for people.

Thanks again guys!
    James

P.S. I James Carman Parsons III swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty*Queen Elizabeth the Second,Queen of New Zealand, Her heirs and successors according to law, and that I will faithfully observe the laws of New Zealand and fulfil my duties as a New Zealand citizen. So help me God.

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Congrats James, you're becoming an official KIWI!

Don't US citizens lose their US citizenship now? New law brought in recently that prohibits people from holding dual citizenship if they freely apply for citizenship of another country, or something along those lines?
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Well done James! Hope all is going well for you these days.

I'm away on holiday at the moment and only have very limited Internet access, but didn't want to miss the opportunity of congratulating an 'old timer'. Sadly there are very few of us from the old days left on here now but I hope they are all doing well in their new lives. Pity we can't all have a cyber reunion to catch up with how everyone is doing now and where they have all ended up.

Have a great citizenship party.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

jamesthecarman is offline Oh Masterful One

Thanks guys!

Taffy, the ban on dual citizenship is like, so 1967! Seriously though, it's not a problem if you were born in the US (as long as it's not with an enemy state). If someone were to come into the US, they are supposed to denounce their original. But then the original country doesn't always recognise the denunciation, so it's not such an issue.

I found this article really helpful: Questions and answers on dual US/other citizenship (#2 and #5 specifically)

Oh, by the way, the whole process for this was really really easy and smooth. 10 business days from application to acceptance letter. Then like 2 months for the ceremony.

A passport takes up to 10 business days, but took more like 4.

Oh, and managed to get in just before my 31st bday, and now I've got a UK WHV for 2 years (as a Kiwi :-)).

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Dear me, why on earth would anyone want to go to the UK for 2 years?

Seriously, what are you hoping to do there James? Surely you're not tired of NZ already?
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.