Thread: School admission in NZ

radhikashenoy is offline Junior Member

Default School admission in NZ

Hi,

Need some advise on school admission in Auckland. I'm planning to come to NZ in April 2011 on a student visa and would like to get my daughter along with me who is 13 years old now and currently in Year 8.

Could someone please give me an overview of admission process / requirement in Auckland for Year 9. Any schools you would strongly recommend and also about the average fees per term / year. Do we have to pay the fees in full or can it be paid at the beginning of each term?

Regards,
    RS

People Space is offline Senior Member

See this regarding school zones
    For state run schools there are often requirements that the children live in the local zone

Do you have NZ residency?
    This will affect the school fees you need to pay.

No, I'm from India and will be coming to NZ on a student visa for post graduate study.

People Space is offline Senior Member

Without residency you will be paying international student fees for the school.
    These vary from school to school, and can be from NZ$10,000-20,000 or more per year for state run secondary schools.

aleyfre is offline Junior Member

Hi, I came to NZ as an international student last year and as long as you study something on the list (shortage list) or a postgraduate degree, your children can attend school here as domestic students. What changes is the list, but if I'm not mistaken your child should be able to attend a public school for free if you are doing post-graduate studies.

Hi,
    I have enrolled for PG Diploma in Business but its not on the shortage list. Can you please confirm this information for me if the child can study as domestic student or attend public school for free. Or if you could guide me to the right direction on this it would be of great help.

If not I will have to run about for her admission and visa and will also end up paying international student fees which would be anywhere between $12-$14k as school fees.

Looking forward for your reply.

Regards,
    RS

Quote Originally Posted by aleyfre View Post
    Hi, I came to NZ as an international student last year and as long as you study something on the list (shortage list) or a postgraduate degree, your children can attend school here as domestic students. What changes is the list, but if I'm not mistaken your child should be able to attend a public school for free if you are doing post-graduate studies.

charming is offline Member

Hi Radhika,

If you are doing a post-graduate degree, you will not need to pay international fees for your kids. I believe international fees apply only if they are at the tertiary (college) level.

charming is offline Member

Hi Radhika,

If you are already in New Zealand and studying could you please confirm regarding the international fees. I will be studying a Level 7 course in Early Childhood Education (just recently removed from the LTSSL). Will my children have to pay international student fees for school?

Charming