Thread: Provisional teacher registration leading to residency

charming is offline Member

Default Provisional teacher registration leading to residency

Hi,

I have been accepted for a Graduate Diploma in Early Childhood Education with one of the colleges in Auckland. Now just to get my student visa processed. I plan on bringing my family along with me, husband and two kids ages 5 and 9 and my husband would get an open work visa since this course is on the LTSSL list.

My concerns are, after completing this one year course I would get provisional teacher registration, which means I could work full time in NZ. Can I then apply for PR as soon as the course is over. What are the chances of being granted PR. Since the course is just a year, would it give my husband enough time to look for jobs etc. We would not like to look back after making the jump to NZ.

I also have an option of doing the 3 year Bachelor's course in ECCE but would prefer the one year Grad Dip as I already have a BA Degree which has been assessed by NZQA as a Level 7. Advice given to me by family in NZ is to do the 3 year course as it would give us more time settle in. But I would rather study for 1 year if it would give me the same end result ie teacher registration and then residency.

Please help!!!!!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I would hope that, if you already have been assessed as a Level 7, you would be able to apply for PR as that is what is required, according to the LTSSL.

A qualification in Early Childhood Education (ages 0-5) at a minimum of Level 7, which is approved by the New Zealand Teachers Council AND NZ registration

It doesn't state that you need to complete a 2-year work experience.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

charming is offline Member

Thanks Mother Bear

Taffy is offline He who shall be ignored
    Blog Entries

Applying for PR straight off would depend a great deal on your points. Without a job offer, if you score less that 140 points you are unlikely to be selected from the EOI pool draw. The qualification must also be exactly as stated on the list, so your BA must be in Early Childhood Education, it must also be approved by the NZ Teachers council, which is seperate from NZQA.
    Taffy

The greatest mistake you can make in life is to be continually fearing you will make one.