Thread: Now we are back in the UK

nickydwuk is offline God like figure
    Blog Entries

Default Now we are back in the UK

Been browsing through the forum and thought I would update everyone on my situation (for those that are interested!!). We have now bought our own home in UK having finally sold our lovely home in NZ. Dogs, boys & OH are all where they belong. Life is settling down. Kids are settled in college/uni etc... My job is ok - gained promotion shortly after arriving back. Although working for the NHS is always going to be more stressful than working in NZ !!!! OH still needs to secure more lucrative employment although he is happy working part-time as a carer while he retrains as a driving instructor - so money is tight until that happens.

The one thing we have realised is that while in NZ we missed family & what was familiar since we have been back we miss NZ terribly - even though we were only there a short period. It really felt like home to us. The recent earthquake near where we lived brought home to us how much we miss it. Who knows - when the kids have finally sorted themselves out we may return - I have 10 years left before I am too old and OH has 6 -so we have a little time. But we would have to reapply for PR - not sure if we could go through all that again.

In the meantime we intend to make the most of what we have and enjoy what life has thrown at us. It's not everyone that can say they have lived in 2 countries and loved them both.
    Nursing Registration sent 5th August 2007
    Job Offer 25th September 2007
    Nursing Registration received 28th December 2007
    Submitted EOI 3rd January 2008 with 150 points
    Selected 17th January 2008
    ITA Received 31st January 2008
    ITA submitted 25th April 2008
    Approved in Principle 3rd May 2008
    Blue Stickers arrived 13th May 2008
    Flights booked for 19th Sept to Christchurch

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the update, Nicky. It's a shame we've lost touch on the forum with a lot of the others who were going through the process at the same time as you although, as you know, many of us keep in touch on Facebook now. We had a great mix of characters and had a lot of laughs along the way as well as a few upsets, but we were there for each other, which is the important thing.

Glad to hear all is back in place in the UK, but also good to know that you miss NZ. For those still thinking of making the move, it will be a comfort to know that you didn't leave NZ purely because it wasn't good enough for you and your family. Whether you will decide to return there in the future, I guess you will make that decision when the time arrives. Would you still consider making the move if not all of your kids wanted to return with you?

Good luck to Adrian in his career change. Hope it all works out well for him.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

I agree MB. A lot of the 'old familiars' have now settled and don't need the forum anymore. I pop in from time to time to see if I can add my tuppence.

As for whether we would return of the kids decided to stay - not sure about that one. The 2 older ones want to go back - for a holiday at least. My older boy - who never made the effoprt to settle as he had got it into his head he was returning to the UK - has said he wishes he had stayed longer and made the effort. He really wants to go back - whether to live or not I don't know. My daughter has mentioned it a few times - she had a big circle of friends in NZ thanks to the church. When she qualifies as a teacher she can go anywhere!! Never say never

currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I'm sure we all appreciate your contributions, Nicky and I'd like to thank you for your continued support. Having gone through the PR process, made a start on your new life in NZ and then done a reversal and returned to the UK, you can see things from all sides which makes you a valuable resource. When the 'old familiars' started to tail off here, some of them said they felt they no longer had anything to contribute to the forum. How wrong they were, as they are the ones who have gone through the immigration process and come out the other side in one way or another. They are the only ones who can give information on 'life after immigration', yet it's odd that we don't seem to have as many queries as you'd expect about life in NZ any more. Unlike previously, no one asks 'How is the weather in NZ?, 'What are the shops like?', 'What kind of food is available?', 'What is the price of domestic appliances?' Perhaps Mr. Google is answering their queries now or they are reading back on the old forum posts .

Personally, I blame Taffy for everything .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MotherBear View Post
    Personally, I blame Taffy for everything .
    Bound to be his fault - he is a man after all