Thread: We have paid our migrant levy

Farzad is offline Member

Default We have paid our migrant levy

Hi,

We are in Aukcland.
    Immigration office has received our migrant levy today and they have our passports.
    Does anybody know how long does it take for them to endorse our residency in our passports and give them back to us?

Cheers,
    Farzad

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sorry, not sure how long it will be, Farzad, but shouldn't be much longer as they have taken your money. Just wanted to say congratulations on getting this far . Hope NZ provides a good life for you.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Default Not always the case.......

MB, I had paid the Migrant Levy fee as well, then, a couple of weeks later, got an email from my case officer requesting a copy of my job offer. (Second job here as a nurse, which I got long after I had already submitted my application and informed my case officer that I was moving and changing jobs. I had been working on the new job for 4 months when I got this request.) So, they aren't done with you until they say they are done and you have your passport back in your hands with the stickers in it! Needless to say, I was NOT HAPPY they had my passport for about 2 months. I quickly mailed a certified copy of the job offer to them the day I got the email, and tracked it so I knew they got it, and still took about 3 more weeks to get my passport. But, oh, when I paid the Migrant Levy fee, they had the money out of my account the very next day. (Plus, when I asked what would happen if I needed to leave the country due to a family emergency at home - I still have kids in the states - , they said they could courier my passport to me but I would then have to start the whole application process over! So much for empathy. ) I have no love or respect for the New Zealand Department of Immigration. Most unorganized, incompetent, non-communicative bunch of bureaucrats I've ever dealt with. And I was never nasty or rude to them, because I know that never works. Don't these people have something as simple as a checklist???
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Hmmmm, that sounds a bit naughty 1HW. They should take the Migrant Levy, being the final payment in the process, when everything is in place and immediately before issuing the blue stickers. I wonder if they would return it without a fuss if you hadn't supplied them satisfactorily with what they wanted.

We have submitted our application under the Family Category and are now faced with a long period of waiting (which, luckily, suits us) but I'm dreading it when things start to move again and I'm sure all kinds of niggly issues will be brought to light and need to be dealt with. Submitting was painful enough.
    Mother Bear

1happywoman is offline Senior Member
    Kawakawa, NZ, formerly Cincinnati, Ohio, USA
    Blog Entries

Good luck with your journey, MB! My immigration paperwork journey was sticky. First off, my partner and I were given totally incorrect information that cost time and money. Later, had conflicting answers to a question about work permit and PR and finally went to a local MP for help with that one. Case officers changed in the midst of things and the reason so was pretty flimsy. (They said it was because my C.O. was out of the country for the month of October. Yet, I had emails to and from her in November and December. The change was made in January.) A few other things here and there and then, when I thought I was home free - they wanted yet another certified document. I was very glad to have my passport back in my possession with those stickers! Just stay on them - send an email now and then asking about progress or your paperwork will find it's way to the bottom of the pile - and stay there. I found they tend not to let you know when things are happening and sometimes better to be a bit proactive and find out sooner rather than later that yet some other piece of paper is needed.

All that being said, thank heavens for technology. I can't imagine how long this whole process might take if everything was done through snail mail!
    Arrived in Auckland on August 6, 2008.Now live in Kawakawa with my kiwi partner.
    I just started working at Bay of Islands Hospital at the beginning of December 2009.
    Work permit renewed and good until June 2010
    EOI submitted and selected, case manager assigned and ITA received. PR application submitted 28/08/09
    approved in principle 26/01/10, PR granted and received 19/03/10

Blog Entries

Thanks 1HW . We've read many stories on here in the past about conflicting info coming from INZ which is not how it should be because they are the fount of knowledge of all things to do with NZ immigration. They make the rules after all and should be very familiar with them. It just appears that some of them read from a different rule book to the others which leads to confusion and uncertainty. I have asked several questions myself and the answers were so ambiguous that I came away none the wiser. The person I dealt with on reception was such an imposing character that she put me in fear of questioning her. She had an unpleasant habit of talking down to people and making them out to be stupid. All this in a loud voice that ensured the whole waiting room knew. She was no doubt good at her job because she had all the answers (right or wrong) at her fingertips, but her 'bedside' manner really needs polishing up as she presented quite a bad impression of Immigration NZ. I sincerely hope, when I next have to deal directly with INZ, it will be with someone else.
    Mother Bear