Thread: Newly Registered Teacher!

Canuck is offline Junior Member

Default Newly Registered Teacher!

Hooray! I just got word that my registration has been completed. What a great feeling. Now I just have to find a job. Anyone on here obtain teaching work while not actually IN New Zealand? I am about to apply via the standard Resume/Cover Letter stuff to schools that I want to work at/are hiring. Any specific advice anyone can give me? Let me know!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Congratulations, Canuck! Sorry, no helpful advice for you but just wanted to wish you all the best for the rest of the process.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Canuck is offline Junior Member

Thanks! I have a couple of questions totally unrelated actually .. are there are lot of mosquitos or biting insects in NZ? Also, what is the humidity like? These are pains over here and I was just wondering if they are also over there!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

There are mossies and sandflies that bite. Sandfly bites seem to be worse and last longer than mossie ones. I wasn't aware of too many mossies or sandflies but I guess it depends on the area you are living in. Water seems to attract more. There is humidity due to the high rainfall but I didn't find it too bad. Again, it depends which area. I think maybe the further north you go, the more humidity. There may be a difference between high and low ground, too, or so I found. I felt worse in the low-lying areas which could be because humidity pools there.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Jeffers is offline Junior Member

Hi Canuck

I was able to get a job in a High School whilst in the UK, but it took a lot of applications and persistance.
    I had 8 years of experience (five as HOD) but I ended up applying for about 25 posts and only had three responses. I eventaully secured my post through an agent (there are plenty about - look at the NZTC website) and the other 'foreign' teachers all tell similar stories.
    Prob best to be prepared for it to take a while and to be persistant - and try Oasis Education in Auckland, they were great for me and a couple of other teachers I have spoken to.
    Good luck!