Thread: Do I need PR AND Work visa if married?

saxman is offline Junior Member
    Now Wales, next year Auckland (hopefully)

Default Do I need PR AND Work visa if married?

Hello all,

Just a quick re-introduction before the question.
    I am on "Introduce Yourself" page 6 under "I've got a secret"
    I no longer have a secret! I announced at our wedding in Auckland that I intended to move to New Zealand 'before it snows'. Needless to say it went down very well with everyone there.

I've recently started researching the process required and it looks like a minefield. I spent a whole day downloading documentation (forms and help files) and have printed almost a ream of paperwork.

I have searched the forums many, many threads and am still none the wiser. I think I have too much info and can no longer see the wood for the trees. I'm sure I spotted a bit that said apart from the PR visa under Partnership, I also need a Work Visa. Is this the case? Do I need to apply for both?

I will need to start working fairly soon after arriving. Doesn't a Permenant Residancy Visa allow me to work also? I have so much info I can't find the bit I think I saw.

Thanks for any help anyone may be able to offer.

Saxman.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post

I've recently started researching the process required and it looks like a minefield. I spent a whole day downloading documentation (forms and help files) and have printed almost a ream of paperwork.
    Yes, I think a lot of us can identify with this.

PR does allow you to work but if you want to stay in NZ for any length of time before your PR is granted, you would still need a valid visa. As you want to work during this time you would first need a job offer after which you could apply for a work permit. The PR application can take some time to process so you might want to look at this as a way of getting into NZ fairly quickly, having a work permit so you can work (don't need a job offer to apply for this) and then you can start your PR application.

Oh, and congratulations on your wedding. Glad to hear your news went down well .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Mother Bear to the rescue, as usual! Don't you ever sleep?

By the way, fairly sunny in Swansea at the moment, but threatening to rain by this evening.

Followed your link and it's 1 of the pages I've seen, cos I already followed and downloaded all the links previously. But at least I know which pages to concentrate on now.

As for the length of time I want to stay.... FOREVER!

At the moment I'm under the impression that I must get a visa BEFORE I go there. It would be rather cheeky (even foolish) of me to ship all my stuff and then just turn up and hope all goes well.

Thank's for your superquick reply.

PS: Am I being naive in thinking I'll get everything done by Nov/Dec?

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by saxman View Post
    By the way, fairly sunny in Swansea at the moment, but threatening to rain by this evening.
    Got to be drier than here in Hamilton, NZ. We've had roughly one full dry day per week over the last few weeks. Rest of the time it's heavy showers or more prolonged rain. No wonder the Waikato is so green.

You certainly need some kind of visa in hand when you enter NZ. However, that doesn't necessarily mean that you need apply for one outside the country because, if you belong to a visa-free country, you can automatically get a visitor permit put in your passport as you come through. Folks coming from the UK get up to 6 months although you wouldn't be allowed to work on this type of permit, but it would get you into the country whereupon you could look for a job. Once you have a job offer, doors will open and you could apply for a temporary work permit either through partnership, off your own back (if it's a skilled job) or via the WTR route (again, if you qualify through your job skills). A temporary work permit is usually a lot quicker to get than PR. Depending on how long it would take you to get a job offer, you should be able to get a WP before the end of the year. Not sure how long the other visa types are taking at the moment but PR can take several months at least. If you have a WP, it can run alongside a PR application so you are covered for working while you're waiting for residency to come through.

If you want to, you can ship your personal effects to NZ but, without a long term visa, you would have to pay GST (which has recently gone up).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks, Mother Bear.

Many pros & cons to weigh up.

I'd better get cracking and do something!

Default ...will you marry a NZ citizen/PR?

...hi just a bit confused...are you marrying a NZ person? If yes the whole story lookes different for you...just let me know and I can write you my experience:)

Cheers, Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Hi Anita,

Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, she's an Aucklander born and bred.
    Quick history for clarification. We met on cruise ship (very romantic) and she has been living (and working) with me here in Wales for 3+ years on a Grandparent Visa. We got married 29th December 2009 in Auckland.

I would be delighted to hear of your experiences. I trust it had a happy ending?

Once again, thanks for any help you may be able to give me.

PHIL

Default that sounds good:)

Hi again,

So I am glad to tell you that everything should be a straight forward thing then.
    All you have to do is to apply for a work permit under partnership and PR under partnership at the same time. The work permit should not take too long (longest up to 3 months) and PR it really varies ( up to 1 year but I got mine within 8 months).

You can apply for PR as long as you can proof that you two have been living together as a couple for at least 12 months. Evidence like tenancy aggreemnents, bills in both names, pics of you both, support letters from friends and family...just gather everything together you can find:)

You can apply for work permit as soon as, you just have to live together at the time of application and you do not need a job offer as this is a special permit, it is an open work permit which allows you to work whatever you want.

I know all the files to download can be confusing.

YOu will also need a medical certificate to download.

And also to let you know you can apply from GB or if you want to come to NZ first and apply from here that is also fine as you are allowed to come into NZ as a visitor. ONly problem here is that you will have to proof a return ticket as a visitor.

Hope that info was alright,

Cheers,
    Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Thanks, Anita.

I've think I've got ALL the forms I need, it's just a case of siffting through them to find them.

Although we haven't got anything in joint names, we have my wifes (Kris) payslips and bank statements for the last 3+ years which show our address. Add to that letters from friends, family and employers will hopefully be enough.

Have to get the PR done first as we'll be shipping our belongings (don't want to pay toooo much tax!)

This is the best site ever. I shall keep you all posted as to my progress.

Cheers,

PHIL