Thread: How long to process with job offer??

doc44 is offline Junior Member

Default How long to process with job offer??

Hi all,
    Hoping to move to NZ with my family but I need a job offer in order to get maximum points.

My question is, if I make an application with a job offer will the processing time be faster? How long could I expect the job offer to be valid for? I mean, if it takes too long to process the residency application the company offering me a job could withdraw their offer.

I have read on this forum that applications can take some time to process. Anyone been in a similar situation?
    Thanks.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Hi, welcome.

Having a job offer can enhance the processing time of your application. How long a job offer would be valid for depends on the company the offer is with. Some don't seem to mind waiting a reasonable time for the right person. An average application, if everything is in order and there aren't any delays, can take from 2 months (in exceptional circumstances) to up to 12 months but it could also be anytime during this period. Some INZ branches are more speedy than others depending on their workload. Rather than taking the chance that you would lose the job offer, you could consider taking a tempoary work visa which will allow you to work until your residency comes through.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks for the quick reply!!!

I did think about a temporary work visa but I really need to be fully into the NZ system, healthcare, schooling etc. as I can`t afford to pay these costs separately.

I read somewhere that if children are not considered NZ residents then they qualify as overseas students and therefore extra tuition fees are applicable - is this the case?

Would making an application in NZ in person be processed faster than an online application?

I have been trying to contact NZIS by phone for about two weeks now and the best I have managed is 14th in the queue. Needless to say I didn`t hold.

Blog Entries

Those who are granted long term work visas/permits are eligible for subsidised health care and domestic schooling. People who don't hold such visas would have to pay international fees for schooling and full fees for health care. That's about as good as it gets . I don't think it would make much difference if you applied to INZ personally because I believe all cases have to be taken in date order.
    Mother Bear

Thanks for the info, looks like maybe a work to residence visa is a better way to start off.

After checking NZIS website it seems quite vague about dependant children, from what I understood it seems the kids would not be included in my visa application, does this mean they would still be entitled to free schooling and subsidized healthcare?

If you have any links with more info it would be appreciated. I guess I really need to speak to NZIS and find out from them.

Blog Entries

This is the link for the WTR quick check so see if you fit the criteria for that. There are links to the left of the diagram you can use as well. Usually, with work visas/permits, your partner and child would need to apply for relevant visas for themselves e.g. work visa for partner and student visa for child. They can apply on the strength of your work permit. When these visas are granted, your family should be able to received subsidised healthcare and schooling as a domestic student, the same a a resident would receive.
    Mother Bear