Thread: Residence application or Work Permit extension???

tortola is offline Junior Member

Smile Residence application or Work Permit extension???

Hi there. My girlfriend and I have been togeather for 18months, 9months working on a cruise ship togeather and another 9 living togeather in nz at the same address. Currently I am here under a work partnership policy and I am considering applying under partnership. The policy says I need hard evidence that we have been living togeather at the same address for a minum of 12months. My question is ( if anybody is familar with a similar situation). Could they would consider living on a cruise ship togeather as living at the same address???? I want to mention that I can prove we have been working on the same ship, but we cant prove that we have shared a crew cabin.
    Do you think i should try and apply anyway,considering i have only living at the same address for 9months, or I should just extend my work permit and apply for residence when I would have been living in nz with her for 12 months? I am deciding this days about what I am going to do so any piece of advice would be helpfull. Thank you in advance

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tortola View Post
    Could they would consider living on a cruise ship togeather as living at the same address???? I want to mention that I can prove we have been working on the same ship, but we cant prove that we have shared a crew cabin.
    That's an interesting one . Perhaps speaking to INZ to ask how you stand on this might help. Presumably you wouldn't be allowed to live together in one cabin even if you wanted to, so maybe you can state this as a reason for not physically living together, although you did live 'closely' together. If they won't accept that, then maybe you can look at extending your work permit if that is possible.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Default love boat

Thanks for the reply, Mother Bear. I have been living with my girfriend in the same cabin for about 2 months, I just don`t know how to prove that. I called to the Immigration NZ and they told me it`s up to the case officer, but " by procedure" I will have to provide them with proof that we have been living togeather for 12 months at the same address. I think I will just apply and provide them proof that we`ve been on the same ship and hope that will be good enough.

Default just 3 more months

Hi,

I would wait 3 more months and then lodge your PR application. You have to extend your work permit for another year anyway now and this gives you enough time for the PR to be processed. They are very picky with this 12 months and they want a lot of evidence of just every little detail.

Just to be safe, I would suggest to wait and then everything will work out in time without any trouble.

Cheers, ANita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Default thanks

Thank you, Anita. That`a what I will probably do. Otherwise it`s a huge risk. Not for the application fee that i will lose if I won`t be given residency, but for the wasted time. I will go the safe, wait until September and then lodge my application. Meanwhile I will also ext Thankend my work permit to be safe.Thank you