Thread: Residency under Partnership !!

ravi1414 is offline Member

Default Residency under Partnership !!

Hi,

M a Indian citizen hea.. my partner is a kiwi..we been in relation past over a yr..nw she wnts to sponsor me so dt i cud stay wt her w/o worryin abt my visa status..my question is since we hv nt been in a live in relationship is it still possible fr her to sponsor me.. she is my girlfren n we r not married though... we live in different houses .. we do nt hv joined bank ac/s..we do nt share bills..wud dis b an issue wt d immigration ?

And also hw long does it take fr d application to be approved ?

MOTHERBEAR...pls help...
    Last edited by ravi1414; 11-05-2010 at 02:14 PM.

hey ..i wud appreaciate a help....

MOTHERBEAR..pls provide sme input..m really worried on dis..

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ravi1414 View Post
    MOTHERBEAR..pls provide sme input..m really worried on dis..
    Ravi, I tend not to respond willingly to posts in text/gangsta speke as they can be a cause of misunderstanding or misinterpretation as we have a multi-national member base and it is important that everyone understands clearly any questions being asked or information being given. For my part, yes, I am 'of the older generation' (and probably considered as boring ) who prefer to maintain the English language as it is rather than corrupt it further .

You might have difficulty proving to INZ that you have a genuine and stable relationship if you aren't living together nor have any connecting issues like joint bank a/cs or shared bills. There is nothing to show that you are a couple. This is the nearest I would imagine you could come to getting a visa through your girlfriend, but I think you would need to firm up your relationship issues.

Your partner is a New Zealand citizen or resident

You must show that you are living together with your partner in a genuine and stable relationship at the time the application is made. Your partner must:

* be eligible to sponsor you for residence under our Partnership policy within 12 months of your intended date of arrival in New Zealand
    * meet the character requirement for partners supporting partnership-based temporary entry applications’
    * intend to be in New Zealand for the period you apply for in your application
    * provide a completed Form for partners supporting partnership based temporary entry applications (INZ 1146) PDF.

If you have been in this relationship for a year or more, we may grant you a work visa or permit that allows you to stay for up to a maximum of two years.

If you have been in this relationship for less than a year, initially we can only grant you a work visa or permit for up to 12 months. Once you are here, you can apply for further work permits for a total stay of up to two years from your arrival, if:

* you and your partner want to stay longer in New Zealand and can show us that you are still in a genuine and stable relationship, or
    * you apply for residence as a partner.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Oh...I am sorry for my text language post. Would make sure it does not happen again. :)

Yes after reading your post i also think it would be difficult to prove our relationship. I wonder if any one have come across and actually got their residency approved inspite of not living together, sharing bills, etc..

Default Hi Ravi,

So are you living in NZ at the moment?
    If not you could come here on a normal visitor visa and move together with your partner once you have arrived, then apply as soon as possible for a work permit undert partnership which only requires that you are living together in the same house at the time of application (no matter how long) and open an shared bank account and collect and keep all the bills in your both names so you have some evidence you are sharing your life together. After one year living together you can apply for residence and this can take anything from 3 month up to 12 month (mine took 8 month to be processed) so with some luck you could be a resident in 1 and 1/2 year or 2 years then and everything is fine.

Cheers, Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Hey..

Yes Iam in NZ at the moment...currently on a student visa.. When we start living together..do I need to put my and my partner's name on the tenancy agreement ? We would jus move in with other flatmates who would already have the house in their name. We cant afford to get a new house and all cause we jus students at the moment.. Yes we could open a joint bank a/c.. but what other bills we could share I am a lilttle clueless about it.. Since we be moving with other couple flatmates who wud already have house, power, phone. net etc on their name.

Default ...flatmates...

hi ravi,

that is no problem you can also live together with flatemates as a couple as long as you have your both names on one flat agreement. that is how I and my husband did it in the beginning as we were living with his parents.

shared bank account is a good start and some pictures together from different times and places, also holidays for examples you spent together maybe you have flight tickets or any other things which showes that you are a genuine couple. Have a look at the immigration homepage and there is also a free info line you can call at immigration and ask them all kind of questions.

but is very important from now on that you keep every little detail which shows that you belong together. you will never believe what immigration asks you for, we sent lots of evidence especially for the residence application they are very picky not so for the work permit. do not delate any emails which you ever wrote to each other, keep love letters (:)) cards you gave each other for any occasions....on and on...

cheers and good luck, Anita
    Internship Auckland Feb - May 2008
    Back to Austria June 2008
    Visitor Visa applied June 13 2008
    Visitor Visa approved July 16 2008 till March 2009
    Work permit lodged November 12 2008
    Work permit approved January 29 2009 till 29/01/2010
    Engaged to a Maori-Fiji-Scotish Man since April 2009
    Getting married 2/01/2010 in Austria!!

Permanent Residence lodged 21/08/2009
    PR approved May 2010

Cheers Anita..u been a great help... I wud surely keep all the points in mind. Again thnks a lot.. Hopefully things go fine with us...fingers crossed.. :)