Thread: residency under partnership

welshy00 is offline Junior Member

Default residency under partnership

Hi Guys

I have had a permanent residency under partnership for about 4 months and have been with my kiwi partner for nearly 3 yrs, but things have not been to good as late, If we decide to go out separate ways do i have to by law let immigration know? And could they revoke my residency as its been a short amount of time?

Any advice will do

Thanks guys gavin

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that things aren't going too well, Gavin. As you already have PR you should be OK. I haven't heard of anyone needing to notify INZ about the split of a relationship, otherwise it should be mentioned as a condition when you were granted PR. Maybe they trust that things would normally run smoothly because you will already have had to prove to them that you were in a stable and genuine relationship (at the time).
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

welshy00 is offline Junior Member

Hey

Thanks for that but i have been told that im on a "probationary period" for 2yrs i thought that was only on oz,i cant find nothing on the imm website to suggest this or any other information on this type of situation so not sure now!!

Jof
    Jof is offline Member

Hi,

I had a poke around on the immigration website and took a look at the operations manual as well. I can't see anything referring to probationary periods. The only thing I could see is that sometimes PR is granted with restrictions. If you have been granted unrestricted PR then as far as I could see most of the focus is on proving you were in a stable and committed relationship at the time of the application.

The immigration service has the right to revoke your PR under the circumstances that there was misleading or fraudulent information in the original application. So if you lied about the status of your relationship and this was proven then you might have a problem, but if your relationship broke down "naturally". I can't find where that's covered.

Anyway that's my opinion for what it's worth. If you find anything more concrete, please post back and let us know.

As for letting the immigration service know of any change of status, I would suggest looking back at the original documents you were sent and checking if there is a statement there that says you have to keep them up to date.

Jof