Thread: Must not take up permanent employment

chellecanuck is offline Junior Member

Default Must not take up permanent employment

On the Canadian worker's Holiday information page it states:

"•you must not take up permanent employment (unless you apply for and are granted an ordinary work permit while you’re here) "

What do they mean by permanent? I always assumed a job that is continual year after year (such as my current job in Canada) was permanent. If I were to get a term position teaching (which is less than a year) would that go against the requirements?

Should i be offered a permanent position (longer than a year) can I apply for a work visa even if my worker's holiday visa hasnt expired yet?

Thanks anyone!

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chellecanuck View Post
    Should i be offered a permanent position (longer than a year) can I apply for a work visa even if my worker's holiday visa hasnt expired yet?
    The purpose of a WHV is more for holidaying than working. It gives you the opportunity to earn a bit of money to help support yourself while you're on holiday. However, they don't seem to say exactly how long you can work for during this time. They can probably tell the difference between a more permanent contract and a temporary one. Not sure if INZ would accept a term contract from you, but don't see why they shouldn't if it clearly states it is for a term only.

If you are on a WHV and want to swap to a work permit to take a more permanent contract, you should be OK. If you want to work, you need to be covered at all times by some kind of visa that permits this .
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Thanks Mother Bear, you have been more than helpful. Im still so confused though... I cant seem to make a choice and I am so scared that I will hinder my chances of staying in New Zealand with my partner if I make a bad choice. I was going to apply for a working holiday visa because I thought that would be the easiest route but I will need to work basically every day in order to sustain myself and pay debts back home. I assume that I can't work every day with a WHV.. so that is out the door I guess? So back to the Temporary work visa under the partnership policy? Sigh... so confusing...

welshraz is offline Junior Member

Hi!

I just thought I would drop by and give you some advice. I came to NZ on a WHV so I know all the ins and outs. You can work on the WHV for up to 12 months. So if you wanted to, you could work the whole time you were here. What the visa does not allow you to do it take up a job that would last longer than 12 months. So you can have a casual, temporary or fixed term position that lasts for 12 months or less.

I came to NZ with my partner, and he worked for the whole 12 months with no problem. We had 23 month WHV from the UK and there was no problem. We are now moving onto a "Normal" work permit.

I hope that this helps.

Oooh! Thank you! That does help! Makes me much more relaxed about it all. Thank you