Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How difficult?

chellecanuck is offline Junior Member

Default How difficult?

Hi there, Im wondering if someone could tell me generally how difficult it is to get a Temporary work visa under the partnership policy. Also/or, how difficult is it to get a Working Holiday Visa? Im trying to decide which one to apply for... generally are these visas difficult to acquire?

till is offline Senior Member

Angry

1. Work visa under partnership
    Did this for my girlfriend a month ago, was granted within 3 days in Wellington.
    It depends on how solid your evidence for your "genuine and stable relationship" is. Ours was fine for the work permit, yet the case officer asked for more re the PR application. (And we didn't even live apart, we were traveling and couldn't show bank statements or rental/utility bills...)

2. Working Holiday
    My girlfriend got one last year.
    It depends on the country you're from. I reckon it's easier for Western countries with higher quotas and less/no conditions re language proficiency etc.

3. Generally
    I reckon a Working Holiday Visa should be easiest for you, then you can come over, live here with your partner, and towards the end apply for a work permit or even PR, once you can easily prove that you have lived together for 12 months.

HTH,
    Till
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

(Sorry, don't know how the angry emoticon got there, nor how to remove it...)

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

I guess it depends on whether you fit all the right criteria to apply. Generally WHV's are easy to get and you don't need a job offer to apply which is a big bonus. On the other hand, to apply for a work visa you would need a job offer unless you were applying under Partnership or similar. Work visas tend to take longer to get than a WHV which can be straight forward.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

Till, I was wondering about the angry emoticon ha, didn't fit what you had wrote. Thanks for your help. I didnt realize until I Joined this forum that I qualified for a working holiday visa because I thought 32 was too old. That now opens another door for me. So Im leaning towards the Working Holiday Visa as it seems the most straight-forward. If my ultimate goal is to apply for residence once my partner and I have lived together for a couple years would it make a difference what visa I was granted first? Or can I just apply for the partnership visa once we've lived together for a year under the working holiday visa. It's really boiling down to the two...

Working Holiday Visa
    Temporary Work Visa under the partnership policy.

What's everyone's vote?... And if I were to be rejected from one...does that prohibit me from applying for a different visa?
    Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wink

Im getting very excited now that I have somewhat made a decision. Does anyone know... say I go ahead and apply for the working holiday visa before I leave Canada... and Im am rejected for some reason... can I still go to New Zealand with a visitors visa then apply for a different type of visa once Im there? Or.. once you're rejected.. you're rejected. I really dont know how it works. I'd like to get the visa for the piece of mind but it would be nice to know that should I Fail there is an option B.
    Thanks for putting up with all my questions. Everyone has been beyond helpful.

MotherBear is offline The missing link
    currently Ras al Khaimah, UAE, ex Wales, UK
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by till View Post
    1. Work visa under partnership
    Did this for my girlfriend a month ago, was granted within 3 days in Wellington.
    Wow, that was quick.

I can't see any reason for you being refused a WHV, but you could still go to NZ on a visit visa as long as you aren't an axe-murderer or similar.
    Mother Bear

Try to bloom wherever you are planted.

@MotherBear:
    Wow, that was quick.
    Her WHV had that no-longer-than-3-months-with-the-same-employer condition, and she was near those 3 months and we told INZ she wanted to keep the job, that's what probably sped it up, and perhaps me applying under ISSL at the same time

@chellecanuck:
    If my ultimate goal is to apply for residence once my partner and I have lived together for a couple years would it make a difference what visa I was granted first?
    I've read quite a bit through INZ's Operational Manual, but I've never come across anything like that. Basically, it doesn't seem to matter how you get in the country, as long as you're always on a valid permit.

can I still go to New Zealand with a visitors visa then apply for a different type of visa once Im there?
    Yes, you can. Only it's called a permit, not visa, when you're already in the country.
    (The only type of visa/permit I know of that doesn't allow change of conditions, extension or conversion is a limited purpose visa, which wouldn't interest you anyway.)

Cheers,
    Till
    04/11/09 - EOI selected (125 points, no job offer)
    30/11/09 - Decision successful
    09/12/09 - ITA received
    23/12/09 - Application submitted
    03/03/10 - Case officer assigned (requested more documents)
    05/03/10 - Job offer secured (IT)
    12/03/10 - Work permits issued (1 year ISSL, 1 year partnership)
    13/04/10 - INZ Interview (re relationship)
    22/05/10 - Approved in Principle
    04/06/10 - Residence Permits issued

Hi Till.... just wondering how often your girlfriend worked with her Working Holiday Visa? Was she working steady or just here and there? What type of work did she find (If you dont mind me asking). Thanks :)

Thumbs up

Ok.. here's the final plan:

1-Go over on a visitors permit
    2-Get a working holiday Visa once I arrive so that I can work as a substitute teacher as soon as I get there.
    2- After the 3 months with same employer buisness I will apply for the partnership stream temporary work visa so I can continue to work with the same employer. (And by then I will have lived with my partner for 3 months and will have that to help)

Hows that sound ? ugh... think I got it straight now...maybe? Thanks everyone!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast